GameStop

www.gamestop.com
  www.gamestop.com
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Its decent and a lot of fun at first.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Shippensburg, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Shippensburg, PA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free game rentals. If you like video games you literally get to talk about video games all day.

Cons

Big push to get performance numbers with cut in hours if you arent a high performer.

Find something better than a magazine subscription for employees to push to customers. The card is actually a good deal but nobody wants that magazine.

1439 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Sales > Service

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Check out games. Discounts. Swag.

Cons

Extreme pressure to meet preorder numbers (write ups if you don't meet a certain quota which can lead to termination.)
    Placing sales over a good customer experience (approaching as soon as a customer walks in the door. Constant upselling. Insistence to make every customer preorder something.)

Stop emphasizing Powerup cards and preorders. You think it keeps people coming back, and it does to an extent, but not for the reasons you want. It generally drives people to stores where they can walk in and walk out with the item they want.

The bottom of the ladder

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Fairly easy work if you are good with people and staying on task or love video games.
    -Smaller teams in stores unlike Best Buy, or large retailers.
    -If you love video games you can check out pre-owned games for a small amount of time to play them at home.

Cons

-Very few available hours.
    -You mostly work as an on call employee at any level other than management or ASM.
    -Very low pay. They will always start you close to as low as possible. In my case I started at .25 over minimum wage 3 months before minimum wage was bumped up by .50 and my wage wasn't adjusted to meet the minimum until 2 years later despite having very high ratings in all of my employee reviews.
    -Some districts have some serious ethics/moral issues. I've heard horror stories and experienced some of my own horror stories
    -It's not always as easy to get promoted up as they would like you to believe. Again I've heard and experienced many horror stories, usually if you are really worth your salt you will eventually get a much better offer from another job as long as you are consistent.

Unfortunately, all of the cons I've listed are not very easy fixes. Most of the people who work for Gamestop also play games but unless they are still living at home they can't afford the $60 price tag 90% of the time. Perhaps if their pay and hours were a little better and more consistent that "extra" money spent on them would go right back into the store.

However, in all honesty while there is definitely room for improvement I have also worked in far far worse situations and this has been the best job of my small career.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop