GameStop

www.gamestop.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Its decent and a lot of fun at first.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Shippensburg, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Shippensburg, PA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free game rentals. If you like video games you literally get to talk about video games all day.

Cons

Big push to get performance numbers with cut in hours if you arent a high performer.

Find something better than a magazine subscription for employees to push to customers. The card is actually a good deal but nobody wants that magazine.

1544 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

One of the best jobs I've ever had, except for a few things.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were always a lot of fun to work with and easy to converse with to pass the time. Usually customers were nice and really cool all around people. Not a lot of responsibility. Lots of camaraderie among coworkers. Very little responsibility among the SA's.

Cons

The pay wasn't great, we constantly were being pressured to sell people on the paid subscription card. Regional Management were corporate monsters. Overall its retail, which means occasional crazy/angry customers, people trying to scam you, or if your a girl.. people hitting on you. Often we'd get hassled over corporate's decisions and we'd have to enforce them even if we thought they were dumb

If you only give a person one 4 hour day a week do not expect them to be able to keep up with everyone else on reserve/new card numbers.

Sales > Service

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Check out games. Discounts. Swag.

Cons

Extreme pressure to meet preorder numbers (write ups if you don't meet a certain quota which can lead to termination.)
    Placing sales over a good customer experience (approaching as soon as a customer walks in the door. Constant upselling. Insistence to make every customer preorder something.)

Stop emphasizing Powerup cards and preorders. You think it keeps people coming back, and it does to an extent, but not for the reasons you want. It generally drives people to stores where they can walk in and walk out with the item they want.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop