GameStop

www.gamestop.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great Company. Depends on where you work though.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

(Employee Discount, Insider Gaming Information, Great People, Very Laid Back Atmosphere) As a Game Adviser, my job is to talk about video games all day and help customers find the perfect games for them. I love this aspect of the job.

Cons

(Not paid well enough. Too much pressure to perform from higher management.) Since it is still essentially a retail position, of course my primary goal of the day is to sell. However, the sale of actual games don't count. Our performance is graded on how many membership cards and pre-orders that we sell. If we don't get a certain percentage everyday, our job is then threatened. Being a excellent employee won't even factor into management's decision making because at the end of the day everyone is obsessed with numbers. Lower level employees who only get paid minimum wage have no incentive to do better except for the possibility of keeping their job. This is all assuming your lucky enough to be at a store that gets adequate hours and you are able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week. If not, the job isn't worth it. Also, we don't work on commission or anything like that, so even if your numbers a amazing, the only thing you get out of it is to keep your job.

The company should implement a better incentive program for lower level employees. I've found my job in jeopardy too many time because of not meeting sales goals even though they turn around and say that I am a great employee and an asset to the company.

1552 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Great place but not fun sometimes

Former Employee - Season Game Advisor in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Season Game Advisor in Orange Park, FL

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

A great and fun place for gamers. You get to talk about the games you like to customers all days. It's nice to recommend something and someone will listen. You can borrow games for a week or two so you can test out to talk to customers about.That rule goes for any game. You always know what's new in the game world. New games, consoles, accessories, you know about all of them first.

Cons

They really stress numbers. Who ever has the most sold power up cards, protection plans and warranties. It's kind of stressful always competed with everyone else.

Don't bet people against each other so much

Retail Purgatory

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Stamford, CT

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Middling discount on software and pre-owned hardware.

Cons

Quota-driven employment.
    Numbers-based management.
    No incentive for performing above and beyond.

Respect your employees, pay them commensurate to what you ask of them, find ways to educate them on the products they're selling, and integrate incentives to perform at a higher-than-adequate level.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop