There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great Company. Depends on where you work though.

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

(Employee Discount, Insider Gaming Information, Great People, Very Laid Back Atmosphere) As a Game Adviser, my job is to talk about video games all day and help customers find the perfect games for them. I love this aspect of the job.

Cons

(Not paid well enough. Too much pressure to perform from higher management.) Since it is still essentially a retail position, of course my primary goal of the day is to sell. However, the sale of actual games don't count. Our performance is graded on how many membership cards and pre-orders that we sell. If we don't get a certain percentage everyday, our job is then threatened. Being a excellent employee won't even factor into management's decision making because at the end of the day everyone is obsessed with numbers. Lower level employees who only get paid minimum wage have no incentive to do better except for the possibility of keeping their job. This is all assuming your lucky enough to be at a store that gets adequate hours and you are able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week. If not, the job isn't worth it. Also, we don't work on commission or anything like that, so even if your numbers a amazing, the only thing you get out of it is to keep your job.

The company should implement a better incentive program for lower level employees. I've found my job in jeopardy too many time because of not meeting sales goals even though they turn around and say that I am a great employee and an asset to the company.

1360 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

High expectations with little support.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Games and various other products.
    Challenging Goals.
    Fun engagement with customers.
    Decent Benefits.

Cons

Low compensation compared to similiar positions with other retailers.
    Poor Communication.
    Low payroll support makes expectations unrealistic even for single individuals with no family.
    Poor bonus incentives.
    Upper Management makes it clear that they view all employees, even upper ranked managers such as myself, as expendable and invaluable.
    No stability, SM's receive blanket firing threats on a regular basis, even the high performers.

Start treating your employees as assets or you will continue to lose them at the rapid rate you currently are. In my 4 years as a Store Manager, I ranked in the top 200 every single year. I'm now with a company that values me and compensates me as a valuable commodity. Before I left, numerous other Store Managers were leaving for similar reasons.
    Setting high expectations is fine, and advised. However, if you're going to set extremely high expectations and numerous responsibilities to be completed in the scope of a week, provide the payroll support necessary to achieve these goals. Store Managers are not your slaves. There's no reason someone should have to put in 60+ hours a week to meet goals.
    You lost numerous high calibur Store Managers during my tenure due to your lack of support to meet your expectations. I personally know of a few more that have left since I've moved on as well. If you don't treat your superstars, all of your employees really, as important and valuable you won't keep them for long.

I love GameStop and what it offers its customers, but the employment/corporate side of the company is a horrible experience I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

GA to SGA

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-got discounts on games
    -got to meet a lot of cool people
    -co workers were amazing just like family

Cons

-My DM was horrible and unethical
    -never felt like I was treated right by DM
    -the side of town I worked on was horrible most of the customers were very mean
    -upper management didn't know how to give out hours.

treat your employees good and they will treat you good

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop