GameStop
2.7 of 5 1,202 reviews
www.gamestop.com Grapevine, TX 5000+ Employees

Great Company. Depends on where you work though.

Game Advisor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

Pros(Employee Discount, Insider Gaming Information, Great People, Very Laid Back Atmosphere) As a Game Adviser, my job is to talk about video games all day and help customers find the perfect games for them. I love this aspect of the job.

Cons(Not paid well enough. Too much pressure to perform from higher management.) Since it is still essentially a retail position, of course my primary goal of the day is to sell. However, the sale of actual games don't count. Our performance is graded on how many membership cards and pre-orders that we sell. If we don't get a certain percentage everyday, our job is then threatened. Being a excellent employee won't even factor into management's decision making because at the end of the day everyone is obsessed with numbers. Lower level employees who only get paid minimum wage have no incentive to do better except for the possibility of keeping their job. This is all assuming your lucky enough to be at a store that gets adequate hours and you are able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week. If not, the job isn't worth it. Also, we don't work on commission or anything like that, so even if your numbers a amazing, the only thing you get out of it is to keep your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should implement a better incentive program for lower level employees. I've found my job in jeopardy too many time because of not meeting sales goals even though they turn around and say that I am a great employee and an asset to the company.

Great place but not fun sometimes

Season Game Advisor (Former Employee)
    Orange Park, FL

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros: A great and fun place for gamers. You get to talk about the games you like to customers all days. It's nice to recommend something… Cons: They really stress numbers. Who ever has the most sold power up cards,… Advice to Senior Management: Don't bet people against each other so much Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

GA to SGA

Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: -got discounts on games -got to meet a lot of cool… Cons: -My DM was horrible and unethical -never felt like I was treated right by DM -the side of town I… Advice to Senior Management: treat your employees good and they will treat you good No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.