There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great if you do your job!

Current Employee - SGA in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - SGA in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Games. You get to play them learn about them borrow them talk about them. Just overall enjoyable. Most customers are nice and enjoy talking to you about games.

Cons

I can't think of any cons right now. I've been there a couple months and I'm an SGA working my way to ASM. I feel most that complain about this place don't understand sales or have a full trap on their job.

Just keep firing the people that don't do their job until you have the team your looking for. It seems that they do this already. I guess one thing they could work on is understanding the store work lad and not over working them with certain corporate tasks when there is more important in store tasks to do first.

1377 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Not a good place if you are a professional and want a career

Current Employee - Accounting in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not much. I honestly can't think of anything I like about this place.

Cons

Executives are aloof, unfriendly, arrogant (for no real reason), and not responsive to issues they see. Management is incredibly short-sighted. They will do things to get by day to day, but do not solve problems for the long term. In the accounting department, there is no real leadership, and directors do not communicate with each other. There's no recognition for good work, but plenty of blame and bodies thrown under the bus if something goes wrong. Management doesn't seem to value education, as directors there aren't even required to have college degrees. There's no career path for anyone under the age of 50 here.

Find companies with "best in class" departments and imitate their best practices. Have higher standards to attract top talent, and get rid of complacent, lazy, uneducated directors. What is the culture of GameStop?? Is there one? This company should have an identity, and it has none. There's also no diversity at the executive level. It's 2012...something is wrong with that.

Incompetency at it's finest!

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Conway, AR

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Your fellow co-workers (mostly)!
    - Working with games!
    - Regular customer base

Met some great people working at GameStop. Most were smart and got out quickly.

Cons

- You're seen as nothing but a reserve and Power Up generator.
    - 15% discount is meh. Not worth it.
    - The Store Manager kept withholding our checkout policy, which was a huge perk or working at GameStop. We didn't have the checkout policy more than we did.
    - Ridiculous turnover rate
    - Lack of hours is unacceptable.
    - Some co-workers don't seem to know their alphabet.
    - No reward for achieving goals
    - No compensation for hours worked off clock. Even when promised.
    - Witnessed extreme employee dishonesty, nothing was done about it, so it seeped the work environment and became a big problem, even when brought to upper management.

You're pushed to obtain rediculous Power-Up and reserve goals and those goals can push employees into dishonest sales tactics. Some customers were pressured into reserving games they didn't want due to a pushy employee trying to boost his reserve numbers. GameStop doesn't care anything for it's employees, all they care about is their upper execs and shareholders. They cut hours on a regular basis so the shareholders can make more money. I worked the company for several years with no raise. Even when goals are met or exceeded, you aren't even given a pat on the back and if you have one bad week, the upper management will beat you down for that, as a previous poster mentioned. My advice: steer clear of GameStop. After working there for several years and seeing their dishonest sales tactics and customer "appreciation" I will no longer be spending any of my hard earned money there and I would advise others to do the same.

Don't be blatantly dishonest to customers. Actually come out from the back room and help when it gets busy. Don,t just sit there and play on your phone. Don't take away checkouts, all the time. It was one of the biggest perks of the job. Quit hiring new game advisers when seasoned ones aren't getting hours. Don't hire used - car salesmen types, especially when they know nothing about games and are completely incompetent in every other aspect of their job.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop