There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great if you do your job!

Current Employee - SGA in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - SGA in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Games. You get to play them learn about them borrow them talk about them. Just overall enjoyable. Most customers are nice and enjoy talking to you about games.

Cons

I can't think of any cons right now. I've been there a couple months and I'm an SGA working my way to ASM. I feel most that complain about this place don't understand sales or have a full trap on their job.

Advice to Management

Just keep firing the people that don't do their job until you have the team your looking for. It seems that they do this already. I guess one thing they could work on is understanding the store work lad and not over working them with certain corporate tasks when there is more important in store tasks to do first.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

Not a good place if you are a professional and want a career

Current Employee - Accounting in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much. I honestly can't think of anything I like about this place.

Cons

Executives are aloof, unfriendly, arrogant (for no real reason), and not responsive to issues they see. Management is incredibly short-sighted. They will do things to get by day to day, but do not solve problems for the long term. In the accounting department, there is no real leadership, and directors do not communicate with each other. There's no recognition for good work, but plenty of blame and bodies thrown under the bus if something goes wrong. Management doesn't seem to value education, as directors there aren't even required to have college degrees. There's no career path for anyone under the age of 50 here.

Advice to Management

Find companies with "best in class" departments and imitate their best practices. Have higher standards to attract top talent, and get rid of complacent, lazy, uneducated directors. What is the culture of GameStop?? Is there one? This company should have an identity, and it has none. There's also no diversity at the executive level. It's 2012...something is wrong with that.

2. Great starting company

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees at the store level are great. Easy to work with, knowledgeable, and always happy to help if you are new, or a bit lost. You learn an amazing amount about selling, guiding customers to making decisions on their own, and a rather large knowledge of gaming and how these companies work. If you ever want to get into a career in game design/development, then information sent daily through the internal Gamestop network is a great place to learn about the companies that make these products.

Cons

Corporate can be really stingy and hard on employees who both attempt to follow policies too heavily, and are just as unforgiving to employees who attempt to bend those policies to help out a customer truly in need. Be wary of what you do, and always make decisions based on your true feelings on what is best for the company and the customer. You are also judged by customer service surveys. However someone could write an excellent review for you on that survey, but mark a negative experience. Your store and you are somewhat penalized for that even though the customer said they had great service in the written part.

Advice to Management

While I had an amazing manager, I've been to other stores where it was lackluster. Keep organized, and make sure you really get to know the employees working under you. Never judge their actions before asking for their reasoning for doing certain things. Corporate needs to be a bit more wary on how they deal with policy bending. Though there are people who do break the rules on purpose to deceive the company, many others do it to help out legitimate repeat customers and first-time customers who either didn't understand the policy, or just made a mistake themselves.