Great if you do your job!

Current Employee - SGA  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - SGA in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Games. You get to play them learn about them borrow them talk about them. Just overall enjoyable. Most customers are nice and enjoy talking to you about games.

Cons

I can't think of any cons right now. I've been there a couple months and I'm an SGA working my way to ASM. I feel most that complain about this place don't understand sales or have a full trap on their job.

Just keep firing the people that don't do their job until you have the team your looking for. It seems that they do this already. I guess one thing they could work on is understanding the store work lad and not over working them with certain corporate tasks when there is more important in store tasks to do first.

Other Reviews for GameStop

Fun experience.

Former Employee - Game Advisor  in  North Merrick, NY
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in North Merrick, NY

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Surrounded by video games and video game minded people all day.

Cons

Dealing with unknowledgeable and overly stubborn customers.

Great starting company

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most employees at the store level are great. Easy to work with, knowledgeable, and always happy to help if you are new, or a bit lost. You learn an amazing amount about selling, guiding customers to making decisions on their own, and a rather large knowledge of gaming and how these companies work. If you ever want to get into a career in game design/development, then information sent daily through the internal Gamestop network is a great place to learn about the companies that make these products.

Cons

Corporate can be really stingy and hard on employees who both attempt to follow policies too heavily, and are just as unforgiving to employees who attempt to bend those policies to help out a customer truly in need. Be wary of what you do, and always make decisions based on your true feelings on what is best for the company and the customer.

You are also judged by customer service surveys. However someone could write an excellent review for you on that survey, but mark a negative experience. Your store and you are somewhat penalized for that even though the customer said they had great service in the written part.

While I had an amazing manager, I've been to other stores where it was lackluster. Keep organized, and make sure you really get to know the employees working under you. Never judge their actions before asking for their reasoning for doing certain things. Corporate needs to be a bit more wary on how they deal with policy bending. Though there are people who do break the rules on purpose to deceive the company, many others do it to help out legitimate repeat customers and first-time customers who either didn't understand the policy, or just made a mistake themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!