There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

A Prett y Good Place to hang your hat

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Grapevine, TX
Current Employee - Database Administrator in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Nice Environment, Good People

Cons

No Work-From-Home option, parking, Cafeteria food could be better

reviews filtered by
  1. Not the best

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Able to talk to like minded individuals about video games.
    - Frequently the first to know release dates for new upcoming titles.
    - Semi-frequently given "swag" items from popular video games.
    - 15% discount on non-system items.

Cons

- Forced to sacrifice excellent customer service in exchange for "numbers"
    - Frequently required to make changes to marketing, store layout, store procedures by company district managers, only to be reprimanded by the regional managers for making those changes and vice versa.
    - Frequently feels like you are implementing procedures that were never actually tested on the store level, and were just dreamed up by people who will not need to follow the procedures and directives they made.
    - Lack of communication and unification among upper management (see above)
    - Unrealistic sales expectations for terrible titles, set by ill informed higher ups who are easily bought by video game marketing and PR teams.
    - Heavy reliance on used sales as profit for company, which will slowly start to fade as the industry begins to shift to online digital download sales. (this is already happening)

Upper management needs to ensure that they are all on the same page. Having to follow conflicting directives from district managers, area managers, marketing directors and even loss prevention managers creates a convoluted mess and more work for the hard working grunts toiling away on the store level. Which as anyone can see is a waste of man hours and money.

2. Don't be fooled......it's more than just video games

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dorchester, MA

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a company that sells video games!!! There is few jobs that suit a high school student better than this one. If you are competent and work under the right manager, you can move right along. Unfortunately the turnover can be high but on the upside, if you are looking to make it to Store Manager and are willing to put in a certain amount of travel, you can advance fairly quickly. Store Managers get an annual conference each year that gets you a fair amount of swag. Also, there is an annual bonus incentive, but it's based entirely on your profitability and is only available to the manager. You need to sell the heck out of pre-owned games to do well on this. Game borrow is a great perk for keeping you up to date on games without having to buy each and every game you might like. Benefits for part-timers!!! Unheard of in the retail world! Casual dress code and casual co-workers can make this a very relaxed place to be but read on to cons.....

Cons

Payroll......always the issue. There is NEVER enough payroll to keep the staff coverage you would like. Every store is different, but at my location, there were customers from the moment you opened to the second you closed. Great for retail, BUT getting a chance to do everything the company is asking of you (as the manager) is almost impossible. GameStop is trying a lot of new things (Leapfrog, Net10 phone activations, I-device trades and sales) which means lots of new things to do. Not good when there is such a lack of payroll hours. I worked there for a year and a half and NEVER put in less than 50 hours. Usually it was closer to 65+ but never saw the 44 hour week that they require. Work/life balance was a big part of my decision to go. Unfortunately as of this writing, I have yet to scoop up another job, so I have time to post things like this. Understand, not all GameStops are like the one I was in, but GameStop as a company needs to understand that stores with high trade volume need more payroll hours than the average store to make it work. The district I worked in was also very low on the performance side which meant a lot of pressure. I feel that contributed to a lot of the negative vibe that plagued us. If each store could be judged on their own business and not forced into a cookie -cutter mold, this con section would have been much shorter.

Hours to the stores that need them. Use trade volume as a guideline instead of just top-line sales. I'm sure a lot of inner city stores could use a few hours extra to handle the hundreds of pieces of trade they get each week. Think about it.......how long does it take to sell a game versus having to process an incoming one?

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop