Very little creative control

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bordentown, NJ
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bordentown, NJ

I worked at GameStop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy games and the game industry, it is a great place to interact with like minded people as customers. There is a sense of satisfaction when you help a customer out, especially with kids who really seem appreciative of help.

Cons

Corporate pretty much dictates everything that goes on in the store. Employees tend to shoulder the blame for things they have no control over, like trade in value. Tedious inventory checks in the morning for seemingly random items.

Advice to Management

Give your store managers some more control over their stores. They see their customers daily, they know what they want. Don't be so rigid.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Don't be fooled......it's more than just video games

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dorchester, MA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a company that sells video games!!! There is few jobs that suit a high school student better than this one. If you are competent and work under the right manager, you can move right along. Unfortunately the turnover can be high but on the upside, if you are looking to make it to Store Manager and are willing to put in a certain amount of travel, you can advance fairly quickly. Store Managers get an annual conference each year that gets you a fair amount of swag. Also, there is an annual bonus incentive, but it's based entirely on your profitability and is only available to the manager. You need to sell the heck out of pre-owned games to do well on this. Game borrow is a great perk for keeping you up to date on games without having to buy each and every game you might like. Benefits for part-timers!!! Unheard of in the retail world! Casual dress code and casual co-workers can make this a very relaxed place to be but read on to cons.....

Cons

Payroll......always the issue. There is NEVER enough payroll to keep the staff coverage you would like. Every store is different, but at my location, there were customers from the moment you opened to the second you closed. Great for retail, BUT getting a chance to do everything the company is asking of you (as the manager) is almost impossible. GameStop is trying a lot of new things (Leapfrog, Net10 phone activations, I-device trades and sales) which means lots of new things to do. Not good when there is such a lack of payroll hours. I worked there for a year and a half and NEVER put in less than 50 hours. Usually it was closer to 65+ but never saw the 44 hour week that they require. Work/life balance was a big part of my decision to go. Unfortunately as of this writing, I have yet to scoop up another job, so I have time to post things like this. Understand, not all GameStops are like the one I was in, but GameStop as a company needs to understand that stores with high trade volume need more payroll hours than the average store to make it work. The district I worked in was also very low on the performance side which meant a lot of pressure. I feel that contributed to a lot of the negative vibe that plagued us. If each store could be judged on their own business and not forced into a cookie -cutter mold, this con section would have been much shorter.

Advice to Management

Hours to the stores that need them. Use trade volume as a guideline instead of just top-line sales. I'm sure a lot of inner city stores could use a few hours extra to handle the hundreds of pieces of trade they get each week. Think about it.......how long does it take to sell a game versus having to process an incoming one?

2. Employee-driven with few rewards

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hampton, VA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to talk about and sell games. Other employees are as passionate as you are about the field, and enjoy sharing knowledge and enthusiasm

Cons

Consistently unrealistic sales goals are set, and it is encourage to upsell the customer even on products they do not need or want. Pay is as low as possible, hours and coverage are poor. The 'official' training is only recently implemented, and most managers have risen to their position due to sales ability, not skills or training.

Advice to Management

Set fair wages. Train employees properly, and with a decent amount of time ( not one shift! )