There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Former Store Manager!!! Decent Perks...low wages...not half bad if money not in mind

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Get to check out games for up to 4 days,
Yearly Conference that is paid
Tons of free things given to managers
Good place to get your retail management feet wet

Cons

Mandatory 6 day work weeks during the holidays
Insane time keeping system
High Turn Over
Overly Stressful

Managers are what keep the customers flowing into the stores instead of going online. Do more to keep your managers happy. Go back to normal work weeks during the holidays. MORE PAYROLL!!!

reviews filtered by
  1. Poor Pay, hard work, and no respect

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get an employee discount on certain items, and get to meet customers/employees that share a similar interest in games. If you have a SM and ASM, it can be a fun job.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I was brought on at the lowest level which was minimum wage. I got two promotions to a third key manager, my pay rose to $8.25. My responsibilities included closing/opening the store, inventory, some loss prevention, and cash control. Too many responsibilities for the pay I was receiving. Also they will avoid Overtime like the plague to avoid paying you anymore.

Upper management is a gamble - Depending on your regional and district manager, things may be good or terrible. The RM of my area a) had no interest in games, nor did he keep up with any trends, thus he wanted us to push games that we knew were not going to sell well no matter what we did. He was incredibly disrespectful to lower employees, yelling and cussing at them in the store... while customers were still shopping. Tried to get a store manager to quit because she was having a baby and I guess he didn't want to have to deal with the coverage issues that might arise.

Customers - The customer base, based on where you are located can be incredibly horrible. I had been called a number of racist slurs, cursed at, and threatened... all due to video games.

Gamestop knows there will be no shortage of people wanting to work there, so they will fire someone fairly quickly for small reasons.

Note: I was not fired, I put my two weeks in after working there for 3 years.

Actually develop employees rather than making them disposable. The treatment of upper management to mid, low, and associate level employees was terrible. There needs to be a better horizontal process of performance management, with better visibility into the actions of the different levels of employees. I will say this much, out of the nearly 20 or so managers I knew from my time working there, only 2 remain, and pretty much all of them quit in the period of a year.

2. Power to the Shareholders

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Employees/Coworkers - some of the best I've had at any job
    -You get some really great regular customers
    -Borrowing games was probably my favorite perk as a GA
    -Free games for SM's and sometimes ASM's get swag as well (I should point out these all come from vendors), sometimes even free systems - Kinect sensor a couple years ago, and a Vita most recently. Sony is definitely the best as far as gifts to SM's.
    -Free trip to conference each fall, either in Las Vegas or San Antonio
    -I had the opportunity to go to E3 from a ticket through GameStop; I had to pay airfare/hotel, but still it was fulfilling a dream I had since being a kid.
    -Pay for SM's isn't horrible, especially if you lack a college degree or much experience.
    -It's ridiculously easy to move up in the company to the SM position, as long as you have any amount of work ethic, professionalism, and sales ability.

Cons

-Hours. You'll hear this probably from any retail manager, but at GameStop it doesn't matter if it's the dead of summer or an incredibly busy launch or holiday week (nearly every store in my district was notified to cut anywhere from 5-13 hours of payroll from the Call of Duty launch week), expect to get hours cut from your already dismal budget, and you as a salaried SM will be expected to pick up the slack. Typically stores weren't notified of their hour cuts until Thursday afternoons, in an e-mail that reminded you to "cut from your slowest days, not your weekends" - it's impossible when you get notified that late in the week, to not cut from Friday/Saturday. Your part-time GA's will hate the fact that even if they're performing well, they may only get one or two 3 hour shifts a week. If you want to go to the bathroom between 10am and 2pm, expect to lock up your front door with a "back in 5 minutes" sign and hope no customers are left standing outside fuming when you get back. If you have a busy store and can't find a time when you're left alone, learn to work without a morning cup of coffee. For training, there are no extra hours given with the exception of during the holidays (where it's typically a ridiculous 2 hours/person, not even enough for a full shift). If you want to train your employees well, especially keyholders, expect a few 60+ hour work weeks until you and they feel comfortable being left alone in the store.

-Tasking. Marketing used to be just a few end caps and posters, but in the past couple of years has grown to be huge sections of DLC and best sellers/top games sections, and now rolling "value" towers, making a huge portion of the store just "display only" copies. Creates a huge headache for both customers and associates alike. You're constantly changing out the display cases, sometimes up to three times a week trying to keep up with corporate or your DM's directive, and then you have to explain to customers why you don't have the particular game that they picked out of the Best Seller section and point to the small "for display only" in the corner. It's not fun when a customer starts getting irate over marketing when we don't have the item, telling us that it's false-advertisement or we're trying to bait-and-switch them. Corporate's answer to this is to swap the sold-out cover art with something in stock, but they sure don't support us with the extra hours necessary to keep up on this - they also don't consider the extra time it takes to make sure everything for a sale is set up when there are 3x the amount of places to put sales stickers on an item compared to 2 years ago. On top of marketing, expect a to-do list from your DM every time he makes a visit, sometimes a couple times a week. He may even add in a snarky "good luck doing this while cutting 5 hours by the end of this week" if he's in a really sour mood, as my ASM once told me.

-Lack of creativity/input. As a manager I know the way to gain respect from your employees is to make them feel valued. Asking your associates their opinions and actually putting their ideas into action and giving them credit when due. A lot of other SM's seemed to understand this as well, but that's where it stopped. SM's have absolutely no creative input in their store, everything is directed down from corporate or your Regional or District manager. It got to the point where SM's couldn't even set their own schedules, working a minimum of 45 hours a week (but being told by your DM that you were slacking if you cut went home at 45) with two set "authorized" shifts - either 8:30am-6pm, or 12pm-9:30pm. While we were allowed to hire our own part-time associates, there were times when full-time ASM's were brought in without the current SM even seeing the candidate's resume or meeting them - a complete lack of respect for the SM in my opinion..

-Very little upward mobility. Aside from making your way up within the store to a Store Manager position, it's near impossible to move beyond that. Whether it's to a District Manager or exploring your career options at corporate, not even HR seems interested in retaining employees beyond SM level. And who wants to be a SM of a video game store when they're in their 40s-50s?

GameStop isn't the worst place to work by any means, but it's taken a severe nosedive in the past couple of years. Forcing salaried SM's to pick up the cut hours leads to employee dissatisfaction, which in turn leads to burnout. Customers are soon seen as a nuisance, an interruption to our tasking duties, rather than the reason we came to GameStop in the first place. There has been a huge turnover of SM's recently, and without proper support to stores, other employees haven't been trained properly and aren't ready to be promoted. It leads to external hires which doesn't do anything for morale, and eventually new people are training new people.

Don't think customers won't notice the new hires - I've seen quite a few regular customers move from store to store as managers were shifted around. People go to GameStop for the knowledgeable staff, and that well of people who are personable, good salesmen, and passionate about the products will soon run dry if GameStop doesn't adjust its current methods.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop