Great Customers, Horrible Leadership

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best customers in the world, annual trip to Vegas (for store managers and above) with private mini-E3 showcase. Free games for store Managers. Free game "borrowing" for all employees.

Cons

NO HOURS!!!!!!! Store Managers working 60+ hours because we don't have coverage otherwise. No overlap for lunch or bathroom breaks, and 12-15 hour shifts. Lip services is paid to "putting customer first" or "get out on the sales floor" but then when it comes time to implement Sr. Mgt hands down a huge weekly to-do list and no hours to have more than one person in the store at a time. Many SMs in my district come in on their day off every week just to do the weekly scans.
After you hit SM your stuck, very little room for growth. Also, some markets are very very over saturated. We have 5 stores within a 2 mile circle. With another 4 within 6 miles. There is two sets of stores that are literally looking at each other. Two in a mall and two in a shopping center across the street from mall. In the mall if you stand at the entrance you are looking at your "sister" store, which of course you compete with. Same story in the shopping center. No team feeling within district because we are constantly fighting each other for the same customers.
Low salary for whats expected. Made more as an ASM for a different company and only had to work 40 hours a week.

Either get read of the ridiculous amount of busy work every week or give us hours to have people on the floor. The only reason gamestop can compete with the big box stores is customer service, but that has been pushed to the side over the last couple years in exchange for "operational procedures"
Spread your stores out!!!!!!!!! Buying up competitors was fine, but we need to move the stores from being on top of each other.

Other Reviews for GameStop

A Gamers Dream Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to help people out with video games, give them your insight on what to buy and be able to help people make the right choices.

Cons

Getting hours at times, but not too many cons

Keep up the great work!

The upper Management doesn't really know how the lower management works

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Springville, UT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Springville, UT

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great retail environment to work in .
    When you are getting all your numbers they love you. and they let you run your store.

Cons

If you slack in one or more category they give you coaching forms left and right until they get rid of you.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!