GameStop

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're a huge fan of video games and are okay with working with people, this is the place for you.

Cons

If you're a seasonal employee, I doubt you'll get a lot of hours.

Allow seasonal employees to get more hours.

1439 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Cheap company where you are a highly disposable employee.

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Let you sign out games to test drive for a whopping 3 days.
    2) Sometimes get to chat with customers about upcoming releases if you're not busy multitasking.

Cons

1) 15% discount.
    2) Company is cheap on budgeting their employee's hours, so often shifts are worked by yourself. Working alone on a Saturday until 1pm is absolutely ridiculous and increases shrink while decreasing sales due to lack of employee and customer service.
    3) Printers break. A lot.
    4) Expectations for banking game reservations, power-up-pro memberships and warranties is set too high and is difficult to make.
    5) They make you empty your pockets, socks, and handbag before EACH TIME you leave the store to make sure you aren't stealing. Really? Nothing says trust like a pocket check.
    6) Management at store level is overworked and take out frustrations on their part-time employees.
    7) This company tends to give a lot of multitasking work that is mandatory while trying to "focus on the customer" which is impossible to do considering the lack of staff.
    8) Probably most important: you have to constantly lie to your customers and suck money out of them in every way that you can. The biggest example of this is with game reservations; many people forget they have money down on a reservation. If I see this on the computer, I literally cannot tell the person that they have money down on a game because this will cause them to cancel the pre-order which hurts our numbers. Totally ethically and morally wrong.
    9) Senior Game Advisors, as of now, are no longer allowed to work more than 25 hours because GameStop believes these employees will demand use of their sub-par health care plan. These employees now must seek employment elsewhere.

Please have mutual respect for your SGA's and GA's, because without them, your job would actually be much harder. Instead of "coaching" them in how to reach their goals, be the kind of manager that they WANT to help reach store goals. Praise them when they do well.

Wow they think they're employees are slaves!!

Former Employee - Store Manager in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in South Houston, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Your employees and regular customers treat you like a family.

Cons

This company strives on brain washing their employees into believing there is nothing else out there for them. They low ball you on pay and over work their managers. The way they look at their employees' is that there is another game playing loser right behind them that will do the same job for less money because they will think they are going to play video games all day. All of their regular part time employees' mean absolutely nothing to them. You work hard in building these associates' skills, and the company will turn around and cut all their hours after years of loyal service to the company. I worked 55-60+ hours weekly for this company for six years and they only paid me for 44 hours/week. They don't tell you to work over that amount of hours, but they force you to do so by cutting payroll to nearly nothing for your hourly associates'. So basically you have no choice otherwise to work over 44 hours.They force performance-based rankings down your throat and threaten your job over it. The amount of tasks they give you is unbearable, and once again you are working for free. The only reason I stayed for so long was that my employees, which i groomed and grew to love, were a second family to me. But after I spoke to my DM about being a parent and needing time off, his reply was: "They do not care about your personal life. You are only a employee to them. They don't see you as a parent, a spouse, or a student. You have to work when you are scheduled, regardless of your personal life issues." Also, the company tells their Store Mangers to not hire any students, college, planning for college, or otherwise, for any sort of management position low or high. That is definitely not equal oppurtunity!! I tallied up the amount of hours I worked plus the pay, and realized I was killing myself for minimum wage. Don't do it if youre thinking about joining Gamestop! Don't even shop there! You are just supplying billions of dollars to these fat, greedy,big wigs that sit on their asses while amazing people are being taken advantage of. If you love video games just stay as an avid gamer or go to school for designing. Whatever you do, do not work for these jerks. After 7 years with them I stopped playing video games and now that I'm free of the enslavement, I enjoy to play on my free time once again!!!!

Take a gun and shoot yourself!!!

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop