There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Experiences as part-time and full-time management.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sugar Land, TX
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work can be fun. Talking about games, playing them, doing your research...if you love games, it's a good place to be. As a part-timer, responsibilities are few, labor is easy, though meticulous and repetitive.

Cons

As you move up, the compensation doesn't match the effort put forth. I was doing work as lower management that was allotted to positions above mine (according to official company policy) as a part of my regular duties (as per unofficial company policy). Having to listen to a PSA over the closed-circuit instore TV in the mornings about how it was my fault, for having things like PTO, bereavement time, and sick days, that employee hours were being cut, after having the president of the company thank every store manager for his new racecar, horses, boats, etc...very insulting. Also, full-time assistant management seems to be the limit of advancement within the company, without years of toil or inside knowledge, as most Store Managers (during my time, in my location) were brought in from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Hire from within the company, don't degrade and belittle your employees, and work on fuller staffing at the stores. Many locations engage in dangerous practices because they cannot be staffed as they need to be. This poses unnecessary hazards for employees.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. OK

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Lakewood, CO

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decently easy work, game rentals for 4 days at a time.

Cons

Retail. Minimum wage and not very much hours.

Advice to Management

More communication about what the standards for signage are

2. A fun environment back lacks upward mobility

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gamestop has some of the best people with strong work ethics and a genuine love of helping the customer find what they want. The products are fun, and it feels great to talk about something you're passionate about daily. The job is very flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Advancement is very slow. It can take years to be noticed only because the company often seems to look outside before it looks inside for promotion to higher management levels. Entry level employees should see this as a part time job as the number of shifts worked each week is frighteningly small.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the people you have. Most of the best training goes to new hires rather than reinforcing the current employees. This is why turnover is so high in some regions.