GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Experiences as part-time and full-time management.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsThe work can be fun. Talking about games, playing them, doing your research...if you love games, it's a good place to be. As a part-timer, responsibilities are few, labor is easy, though meticulous and repetitive.

ConsAs you move up, the compensation doesn't match the effort put forth. I was doing work as lower management that was allotted to positions above mine (according to official company policy) as a part of my regular duties (as per unofficial company policy).
Having to listen to a PSA over the closed-circuit instore TV in the mornings about how it was my fault, for having things like PTO, bereavement time, and sick days, that employee hours were being cut, after having the president of the company thank every store manager for his new racecar, horses, boats, etc...very insulting. Also, full-time assistant management seems to be the limit of advancement within the company, without years of toil or inside knowledge, as most Store Managers (during my time, in my location) were brought in from outside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within the company, don't degrade and belittle your employees, and work on fuller staffing at the stores. Many locations engage in dangerous practices because they cannot be staffed as they need to be. This poses unnecessary hazards for employees.

Fun job for a youngster

Sales (Former Employee) Coconut Creek, FL

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: good atmosphere, basic sales training and great co-workers Cons: restocking inventory after a 5yr old has its fun w\… Advice to Senior Management: have monthly reveiws and give stats on sales...upgrade your computer… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

OK

Game Advisor (Former Employee) Lakewood, CO

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros: Decently easy work, game rentals for 4 days at a… Cons: Retail. Minimum wage and not very much hours. Advice to Senior Management: More communication about what the standards for signage are No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!