GameStop
2.7 of 5 1,078 reviews
www.GameStop.com Grapevine, TX 5000+ Employees

Not a career choice, but okay if you like games

Game Advisor (Current Employee)
Tigard, OR

I have been working at GameStop part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to talk about something you love - games! It's fun to help people find something that they will also enjoy. There is a certain sense of satisfaction when you help a parent to understand the pros and cons to letting their kids play certain games. You can borrow games to try them out before you buy them.

ConsPay is very low - minimum wage. The company changes the amount of hours each store has, sometimes midweek, meaning that you can lose shifts with little notice. They force you to push their programs, such as their rewards card and pre-orders, and you will lose hours, or even your job, if you don't aggressively push it on customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you don't really pay your employees anything, and you should be able to let two people work at the same time. When you give the store less hours than the number of hours the store is open, you are doing a disservice to your customers. Also, when your employees have to push the cards and preorders so hard, it makes customers feel pressured and more likely to purchase games for the same price or less at competitors, such as Best Buy or Amazon.

Changing directions may not always be for good.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Company tends to give great opportunities for young untrained management to step into the world of retail. Free software and occasional hardware, great ability to… Cons: Salary generally far below other retail companies. Company has taken to extreme micromanaging lately. Incredibly quick turnover on store managers. To stay compliant on most… Advice to Senior Management: There are some truly briliant minds leading this company and I have never seen a more didcated work force, there is an astronomical disconnected with… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Sells and DM bonuses sacrosanct , customer experience employee satisfaction irrelevant

SGA (Former Employee)
Royal Oak, MI

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Customers and amazing co-workers. Some will frankly be the highlight of your day. Working in retail is what you… Cons: Our sells techniques were not only high pressure but encouraged tampering with numbers, and theft. The overwhelming pressure pushed good associates to do unfortunate things.… Advice to Senior Management: Your employees work out of love for the business and sheer dedication. Treat them as one would a valued CEO or course within reason. But… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.