There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Not a career choice, but okay if you like games

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Tigard, OR
Current Employee - Game Advisor in Tigard, OR

I have been working at GameStop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to talk about something you love - games! It's fun to help people find something that they will also enjoy. There is a certain sense of satisfaction when you help a parent to understand the pros and cons to letting their kids play certain games. You can borrow games to try them out before you buy them.

Cons

Pay is very low - minimum wage. The company changes the amount of hours each store has, sometimes midweek, meaning that you can lose shifts with little notice. They force you to push their programs, such as their rewards card and pre-orders, and you will lose hours, or even your job, if you don't aggressively push it on customers.

Advice to Management

Realize that you don't really pay your employees anything, and you should be able to let two people work at the same time. When you give the store less hours than the number of hours the store is open, you are doing a disservice to your customers. Also, when your employees have to push the cards and preorders so hard, it makes customers feel pressured and more likely to purchase games for the same price or less at competitors, such as Best Buy or Amazon.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Satisfactory

Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Current Employee - Game Advisor in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're a huge fan of video games and are okay with working with people, this is the place for you.

Cons

If you're a seasonal employee, I doubt you'll get a lot of hours.

Advice to Management

Allow seasonal employees to get more hours.

Wow they think they're employees are slaves!!

Former Employee - Store Manager in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in South Houston, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your employees and regular customers treat you like a family.

Cons

This company strives on brain washing their employees into believing there is nothing else out there for them. They low ball you on pay and over work their managers. The way they look at their employees' is that there is another game playing loser right behind them that will do the same job for less money because they will think they are going to play video games all day. All of their regular part time employees' mean absolutely nothing to them. You work hard in building these associates' skills, and the company will turn around and cut all their hours after years of loyal service to the company. I worked 55-60+ hours weekly for this company for six years and they only paid me for 44 hours/week. They don't tell you to work over that amount of hours, but they force you to do so by cutting payroll to nearly nothing for your hourly associates'. So basically you have no choice otherwise to work over 44 hours.They force performance-based rankings down your throat and threaten your job over it. The amount of tasks they give you is unbearable, and once again you are working for free. The only reason I stayed for so long was that my employees, which i groomed and grew to love, were a second family to me. But after I spoke to my DM about being a parent and needing time off, his reply was: "They do not care about your personal life. You are only a employee to them. They don't see you as a parent, a spouse, or a student. You have to work when you are scheduled, regardless of your personal life issues." Also, the company tells their Store Mangers to not hire any students, college, planning for college, or otherwise, for any sort of management position low or high. That is definitely not equal oppurtunity!! I tallied up the amount of hours I worked plus the pay, and realized I was killing myself for minimum wage. Don't do it if youre thinking about joining Gamestop! Don't even shop there! You are just supplying billions of dollars to these fat, greedy,big wigs that sit on their asses while amazing people are being taken advantage of. If you love video games just stay as an avid gamer or go to school for designing. Whatever you do, do not work for these jerks. After 7 years with them I stopped playing video games and now that I'm free of the enslavement, I enjoy to play on my free time once again!!!!

Advice to Management

Take a gun and shoot yourself!!!