GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Not a career choice, but okay if you like games

Game Advisor (Current Employee) Tigard, OR

ProsYou get to talk about something you love - games! It's fun to help people find something that they will also enjoy. There is a certain sense of satisfaction when you help a parent to understand the pros and cons to letting their kids play certain games. You can borrow games to try them out before you buy them.

ConsPay is very low - minimum wage. The company changes the amount of hours each store has, sometimes midweek, meaning that you can lose shifts with little notice. They force you to push their programs, such as their rewards card and pre-orders, and you will lose hours, or even your job, if you don't aggressively push it on customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you don't really pay your employees anything, and you should be able to let two people work at the same time. When you give the store less hours than the number of hours the store is open, you are doing a disservice to your customers. Also, when your employees have to push the cards and preorders so hard, it makes customers feel pressured and more likely to purchase games for the same price or less at competitors, such as Best Buy or Amazon.

Started out great, increasingly disappointing

I have been working at GameStop

Pros: Fast paced environment, always something new going on, Great for those… Cons: The culture of the company became increasingly more hostile over time. The focus on sales figures at this point is… Advice to Senior Management: You cannot create generic comparisons of stores in entirely different… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

An "ok" company

Game Advisor (Former Employee) Tolland, CT

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: easy hire and game discount. Cons: low pay, low hours, poor management Advice to Senior Management: Offer more hours or don't hire as many people No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!