GameStop

www.gamestop.com
  www.gamestop.com
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Once a visionary giant has lost its way and turned an economic downturn into the end of days.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health / Dental benefits
401k
Discount on new and used software

Cons

No work / life balance and upper management no longer trusts store managers to run their locations. Expect heavy micro-management and inconsistent / unrealistic expectations.

1439 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Disorganized, sporadic, and terrible hours.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at GameStop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like games you can rent pre-owned for a 4 days. You get a 15 percent discount.

Cons

6-12 hours a week, and none at worst.

Don't hire 5 people if those 5 people aren't even going to work during the time you hired them for.

Unless you plan on devoting your life to the company, don't bother.

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on many of the products, which stacks if you also have the discount card, and working there offers great practice for developing your salesmanship and people skills. I don't really have any problems conversing with strangers after working here for three years. Also, some insurance is offered through the company, even to the lowest tier keyholders.

Gamestop is also a constantly growing company, and they don't like to switch staff often, so if you become a manager, your job is relatively secure, as long as you can keep up with the demands.

Cons

The lower your position in the company, the less it is worth your time. Basic part-time sales associates, or Game Advisors, start at minimum wage. Many positions start at minimum wage, but Gamestop allots so few hours for their non-managerial employees that they get about three hours a week, unless it is holiday season or the employee is great. When I was a Game Advisor, I was given priority hours over other GAs, because I knew how to do more and had slightly better numbers than the others. Even so, I still only pulled in about $125 paychecks every two weeks.

Once I was promoted after much dedication and hard work, the number of my responsibilities doubled, and the increase to my hourly salary was less than $1. At this point, I was making roughly $400 every two weeks, due to my increase in hours. Much better, but still not enough to make a living. You don't really begin seeing benefits unless you become an Assistant Manager or Store Manager, but it takes much time, devotion, and very hard work to reach these spots.

For nearly every task I did at Gamestop as both a Game Advisor and a Senior Game Advisor, I understood its purpose. Offering upsales, game reservations, and discount card subscriptions are part of what helps the company thrive. Also, the amount of attention given to customer satisfaction is very admirable.

However, it seems as though not enough focus is put on employee happiness. No one can live on three hours a week. And the "Do it or we'll find someone who will" attitude is really only keeping employees from doing the best job they can. You can catch more flies with honey, as they say.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop