There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Once a visionary giant has lost its way and turned an economic downturn into the end of days.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health / Dental benefits 401k Discount on new and used software

Cons

No work / life balance and upper management no longer trusts store managers to run their locations. Expect heavy micro-management and inconsistent / unrealistic expectations.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Customers, Horrible Leadership

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best customers in the world, annual trip to Vegas (for store managers and above) with private mini-E3 showcase. Free games for store Managers. Free game "borrowing" for all employees.

Cons

NO HOURS!!!!!!! Store Managers working 60+ hours because we don't have coverage otherwise. No overlap for lunch or bathroom breaks, and 12-15 hour shifts. Lip services is paid to "putting customer first" or "get out on the sales floor" but then when it comes time to implement Sr. Mgt hands down a huge weekly to-do list and no hours to have more than one person in the store at a time. Many SMs in my district come in on their day off every week just to do the weekly scans. After you hit SM your stuck, very little room for growth. Also, some markets are very very over saturated. We have 5 stores within a 2 mile circle. With another 4 within 6 miles. There is two sets of stores that are literally looking at each other. Two in a mall and two in a shopping center across the street from mall. In the mall if you stand at the entrance you are looking at your "sister" store, which of course you compete with. Same story in the shopping center. No team feeling within district because we are constantly fighting each other for the same customers. Low salary for whats expected. Made more as an ASM for a different company and only had to work 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Either get read of the ridiculous amount of busy work every week or give us hours to have people on the floor. The only reason gamestop can compete with the big box stores is customer service, but that has been pushed to the side over the last couple years in exchange for "operational procedures" Spread your stores out!!!!!!!!! Buying up competitors was fine, but we need to move the stores from being on top of each other.

2. A Gamers Dream Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to help people out with video games, give them your insight on what to buy and be able to help people make the right choices.

Cons

Getting hours at times, but not too many cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!