Not bad for retail

Former Employee - Store Manager in Savannah, GA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Hip and diverse company. Good perks if you're a gamer. Work life balance isn't bad considering it's retail. YMMV depending on your district manager. Free trip to Vegas every year.

Cons

Company has lost it's focus over the last few years. Many long term, loyal and talented store managers are being fired so they can bring in younger, fresh blood and pay them 10-15K less per year. GameStop has a lot of unique rules that may get you fired if you unknowingly break them.

Advice to Management

Quit bringing on your own demise by embracing digital downloads. Retain your loyal long term managers.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

Not enough hours and so little pay.

Former Employee - Game Advisor in Vestavia, AL
    Former Employee - Game Advisor in Vestavia, AL

I worked at GameStop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A decent in store discount.

Cons

Competitive work schedule, only about 80 hrs. to distribute among everybody ( manager gets 40 of those). Usually only work 3-9 hrs a week. Get paid every other week. Not treated like a person that matters. They only care about money. The good workers get fired for the new rookies. They don't pay you unemployment until you have made your unemployment checks worth at another job. ( My friend is waiting on his $3000 check, but he can't get it until he makes that much at another job.)

Advice to Management

Go to hell

2. How do you expect a business to thrive with out giving us payroll to operate it properly?

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It might look good one day on a resume.

Cons

Working 6-9 hour shifts by yourself with no coverage because corporate would rather sacrifice the well being of their employees to save an extra buck. Not being able to eat or go to the bathroom for several hours at a time. Not having a personal life and or being able to relax and play the games we sell. Working 70-80 hours average every week.

Advice to Management

Give more payroll. If you want the company to perform better we are going to need more payroll to have more staff so our jobs can be spent doing what we do best and that is selling and talking about video games and electronics. I once heard that you listen to your Store Managers for advice, what happened to that?