GameStop

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Ups and downs

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Good discount, good pay, job security
-SMs and up get to go to a yearly conference and play games/go to meetings with developers which is pretty cool
-Pretty good work/life balance
-The people you work with really are some of the best in retail

Cons

-Upper management is incredibly disconnected from how stores actually operate. They want you to push new reservations, loyalty cards, warranties, add-ons. They expect you to greet every customer on the sales floor, ask open-ended questions, tell them about trades, hand them a sales flyer, hand them a reservation list, tell them about iDevices, net10, whatever other new initiative that we start every week. They basically want you to hound every single customer, even when you're alone, and then they expect you to tell that customer about our satisfaction survey and then assume you aren't doing your job when you get poor survey results which actually are the result of you doing everything upper management has asked.

Quit asking us to harass our customers. Let store managers run their store their own way- you can't expect 4000+ stores to follow the same cookie cutter "best practices" and be successful. Be more understanding when we don't hit every point with every customer, if you really want us to do that give us the payroll to support it.

1483 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Overall a great experience, poor management.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in Grapevine, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers and general work environment was great. Departments work well with other departments. They prefer to hire within so the opportunities are there. Benefits are really good as well.

Cons

Management (corporate) can be straight @$$holes. And in the department I was in, management was VERY biased and promoted/terminated based on favoritism.

Value your employees!

Its retail, no surprises, no challenge.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, some customers are cool to talk to, and the job is just laid back.

Cons

open 7 days, 363 days a year and this is the worst place to work during the holidays, but what job in retail isnt?

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop