There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Solid company, great place to work, but not to grow. Too much friction to new ideas.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I worked at GameStop full-time

Pros

Relatively low stress, great people, flexible hours. Cash rich, debt free, solid market. In-house cafeteria with pretty good food.

Cons

Unexplainable gulf between everyday employees and upper management. Seems to be zero articulated Vision from the top beyond "sell stuff". Offices are built into a warehouse, very few windows, sloppy cubicles, sloppy dressed employees (jeans, t-shirts everyday), a lot of non-commitment and "maybe someday".

Walk around and meet your people, proactively. And regularly. Find out what's going on in the online retail world and pursue it instead of hiding from it.

reviews filtered by
  1. Very Satisfying

Current Employee - Game Advisor
    Current Employee - Game Advisor

I have been working at GameStop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back workplace, helpful coworkers, flexible schedule, incentive based (my store did an mvp of the week based on performance on subs and pre-orders)

Cons

lots of things to push on every customer (pur, pres, surveys, upsells)

ask store managers for some of their ideas. i worked for five months before someone even mentioned our area manager, he came in later that day.

Ups and downs

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Good discount, good pay, job security
    -SMs and up get to go to a yearly conference and play games/go to meetings with developers which is pretty cool
    -Pretty good work/life balance
    -The people you work with really are some of the best in retail

Cons

-Upper management is incredibly disconnected from how stores actually operate. They want you to push new reservations, loyalty cards, warranties, add-ons. They expect you to greet every customer on the sales floor, ask open-ended questions, tell them about trades, hand them a sales flyer, hand them a reservation list, tell them about iDevices, net10, whatever other new initiative that we start every week. They basically want you to hound every single customer, even when you're alone, and then they expect you to tell that customer about our satisfaction survey and then assume you aren't doing your job when you get poor survey results which actually are the result of you doing everything upper management has asked.

Quit asking us to harass our customers. Let store managers run their store their own way- you can't expect 4000+ stores to follow the same cookie cutter "best practices" and be successful. Be more understanding when we don't hit every point with every customer, if you really want us to do that give us the payroll to support it.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop