GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Not a bad gig if you're using it as a financial supplement while in school or have a second job.

Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) Canton, GA

ProsThe hours and scheduling are very flexible. You will also meet a lot of cool people, at least if you are in to anything remotely related to video games. I was lucky enough to have wonderful people to work with, whom I still consider friends.

ConsThe hours are horrible. If you are not at least an assistant manager, do not count on consistent hours. Corporate seems to cut hour allocation per store more and more each year, expecting miracles of assistant and store managers alike. The pay would be fine if the workload was not increased exponentially per promotion. That said, the store managers certainly do not make what they are worth. The rate of promotion is rather sporadic as well. Due to the influx of outside hiring of individuals from chains like Blockbuster and the already small employee force per store, it could take one between three months to two years before an opening for the simplest promotion is available.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore managers should tread lightly on corporate's recommended amount of holiday hires. We simply hired three extra people this past holiday season and each person never received more than a twenty hour work week during the peak of the season. District managers simply need to be more realistic with store goals and expectations since so many cuts have been made.

Started as a dream job ended like a nightmare

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Nassau, NY

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Sell games, repeat customers who engage in conversation, discount on… Cons: I have no problem with meeting goals or getting operational tasks done. I do however have a problem when we are given little to no… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employees. Don't focus on outside hires for management positions… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Please don't do it

Management (Former Employee) Kentucky, MI

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Games, good early experience a lot of turnover so it's… Cons: Out of touch upper management, stuffing from little business syndrome, too… Advice to Senior Management: Pay managers more, give more hours for hourly employees No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!