There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Not a bad gig if you're using it as a financial supplement while in school or have a second job.

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Canton, GA
Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Canton, GA

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours and scheduling are very flexible. You will also meet a lot of cool people, at least if you are in to anything remotely related to video games. I was lucky enough to have wonderful people to work with, whom I still consider friends.

Cons

The hours are horrible. If you are not at least an assistant manager, do not count on consistent hours. Corporate seems to cut hour allocation per store more and more each year, expecting miracles of assistant and store managers alike. The pay would be fine if the workload was not increased exponentially per promotion. That said, the store managers certainly do not make what they are worth. The rate of promotion is rather sporadic as well. Due to the influx of outside hiring of individuals from chains like Blockbuster and the already small employee force per store, it could take one between three months to two years before an opening for the simplest promotion is available.

Store managers should tread lightly on corporate's recommended amount of holiday hires. We simply hired three extra people this past holiday season and each person never received more than a twenty hour work week during the peak of the season. District managers simply need to be more realistic with store goals and expectations since so many cuts have been made.

1306 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Enjoy the games because there's not much else to enjoy

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Access to gaming news and info, the regular clientele that you attract,

Cons

the tedium, chasing the everchanging goals that they set and are often unattainable

Lighten up and enjoy a game one in a while

Started as a dream job ended like a nightmare

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Nassau, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Nassau, NY

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sell games, repeat customers who engage in conversation, discount on games, fun environment.

Cons

I have no problem with meeting goals or getting operational tasks done. I do however have a problem when we are given little to no hours to get these tasks completed. Store manager promotions are mostly based upon how well the District Manager likes you. May not be true for all districts but it was true for mine. People could be consistent, great customer service and get jobs done, but if your not in the loop you never will be.

Listen to your employees. Don't focus on outside hires for management positions when you have a lot of great potentials working for you already.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!