There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Not as bad as some say, but could definitely be better

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Videogames, not the hardest product to sell. Sales quotas are realistic, reasonable. Potentially awesome coworkers and bosses. I rarely met anyone at the company I didn't like, but when you do encounter that person it can be a trip.

Cons

Long workweeks sometimes, especially during the holidays. Increasingly corporate structure which isn't necessarily making money/increasing profits. Easy to hit a ceiling and become complacent.

Advice to Management

Empower your people. DMs are even better assets than store managers in some cases, but they're so overworked.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

1. A good time as long as you have a good team.

Former Employee - Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was lucky enough to get hired into a group of people that all got along and became some of my best friends which seems to happen at many of the stores and I was able to work in an environment filled with things I'm very passionate about.

Cons

They do not promote or hire from inside the company, I worked there for years and did a good job but they choose to hire for management positions from the outside if you do not try and force reservations and subscriptions on people which was something I was never comfortable doing.

Advice to Management

Promote the people who can run the store and not the people who try and force sales on people.

2. Fun

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by games, great people, and great environment.. What's not to love. You're never working late, and if you do your job, everyday runs smooth.

Cons

Low pay since EBGames was bought. In my district, the district manager promoted Assistant managers to stores based on how much he liked you, and not skill. Management makes this company a college job and not something past that.

Advice to Management

Look at the skills of the employees and not how much you like them.