GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Excellent Firm.

Current Employee - QA Analyst  in  Grapevine, TX
Current Employee - QA Analyst in Grapevine, TX

Pros

Excellent Firm to work with. Best work environment . This is the best firm I worked for in last 15 years.

Cons

None. i can think of any cons for this firm.

Keep it up.

Other reviews for GameStop

Has Only Gone Downhill - Even WalMart has a better rating!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

- Laidback atmosphere when management isn't breathing down your neck .
    - Working with games and gamers - fellow employees are the only reason to stay.
    - Small discount - There were lots of freebies, but those are becoming more scarce.

Cons

- Payroll is a joke. Having single coverage is not only inconvenient for needing to eat or use the restroom, but it is a safety hazard that makes the store a potential target for robbery.
    - The pressure for numbers is insane.
    - Compensation for work/knowledge/experience is sadly lacking.

Okay seriously - payroll. It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous. Stores can barely operate on what is given to them, and there aren't hours to keep any part time help, so keeping them around to promote isn't working. It is UNSAFE to have single coverage, and unrealistic. The tasks we are given every week have doubled or more since I started, but payroll has been drastically reduced. Management harps on: Focus on the customer, leave tasks - but we are scolded or written up when these tasks aren't done. It's a never-ending, rough cycle.

GameStop is dipping it's hand into far too many markets. Not only are employees expected to be knowledgeable on EVERYTHING gaming-related (trust me, we are asked everything imaginable), but we are now expected to be experts on digital gaming and troubleshooting, tablets, Apple products, cellular plans and phones, and more. We are expected to become experts on many different fields, but there is no monetary compensation or incentive or bonus to do so. GameStop is stretching itself thin, and really just needs to concentrate on what matters - being the best store on the block to buy games from.

One thing that drives consumers away from the 'best store on the block' are the constant pressures of preorders and powerup cards. We get it - they drive future sales and are important. However, people get sick of hearing it every time they enter the building. It is aggravating. Perhaps it wouldn't be so aggravating if employees weren't pushing them so hard for fear of losing their jobs and livelihood. Yes, they are important, but they are not the 'end all be all' of a good business. Let us let our customers and employees breathe. Let us focus on sales - even where the profit margins are slim, the number of sale increases by a consumer coming into a GS and ENJOYING the experience without being hounded - would more than make up for it. People can go to Amazon, not talk to anyone or be pressured to buy anything, order their stuff,and move on. Why would consumers come to us over them? Good customer service? Not if they're pushed time and time again. We aren't even as convenient, because people have to drive to our store. Let us turn our stores into an enjoyable, pleasant environment where the employees aren't pressured to survive every day, and the consumers don't hear the same spiel over and over.

Another thing that is RIDICULOUS: Call lists. Calling customers at home, and soliciting them for trades/business. This is an obvious sign of desperation. It's only a matter of time before consumers realize that we are using the powerup/preorder information they give us in our system to call them and advertise to them, without their permission, and it affects the company image and numbers in general. Not to mention, the lists can be, literally, hundreds of names long. Where is the payroll for it? Oh wait, it's just expected of us to do it with what we have already.

I remember, years ago, that GS used to be a fun place to work. Employees tried their best because they enjoyed what they were doing, and wanted to perform well for the company they loved. Customers loved spending time in the stores because it was fun, and cool to shop at GS. This was circa 2008. After that, things began to go downhill as GS fought to achieve the same sales, and it was never the same. The stress and pressure on us have doubled - people no longer enjoy their job as much, and the customers can see it. GS is fighting against the digital format and Amazon, and is throwing itself in every direction to survive, and the employees suffer. My advice to management? Get back to the basics. Have specialists for the new markets you're wading into - hire people just for knowing about phones and tablets. Cherish the employees you have and don't base everything they have done for you on a percentage that, often times, is out of their control based on their location/economy/preorder availability. Make it fun to shop at GS again - MAKE IT ABOUT SELLING GAMES, not selling our souls to get a future number.

Unstable

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Required hours aren't a lot. Not very hard work. Fun job if you enjoy video games. Discount and the free rental policy is pretty nice. A good 2nd job for sure. Relaxed atmosphere at times.

Cons

They don't always treat employee's the greatest and can close stores and/or eliminate positions without notice. Some people have lasted years if not decades, while some last a few years and get let go or fired. The work/life balance varies on your position. Full Timer Managers have it not so well. Part time managers have plenty of time for life stuff.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!