There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Great Environment, some hiccups with higher management

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor  in  Athens, GA
Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Athens, GA

I worked at GameStop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Compared with other retail jobs, the atmosphere and the people that you interact with are generally congenial and low-stress. Most people are happy to be shopping for video games, and most people who work in the store love games and helping customers with recommendations. The managers also recognize employees who work hard and try to improve the store beyond their normal duties, rewarding them with more hours and opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

The amount of hours to be divided among staff who work at a store can make it difficult to give everyone the hours that they want or need. It can also result in losing good employees because they need more hours to pay their bills. In my case, a regional manager's decision to reduce the store's employee hours resulted in my losing a promotion after I had been a keyholder for a while and quit the other part-time job I had used in combination with GameStop before the keyholder promotion. When that happened, I had to leave the company to get full-time employment.

I would suggest that Regional Managers try to be sensitive to recent promotions and store employee hour ratios in their determination of hours per store.

1310 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

After a long career of trying to get ahead, I still ended up nowhere

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary and benefits are fair. The people I worked with were great most of the time. Management received alot of free games from annual conferences.

Cons

Hours are terrible for in-store work. A normal complaint for retail, but upper management clearly had no idea how long it took to accomplish tasks. Anyone looking for career opportunities is set up for failure.

awesome company if you want to grow in retail

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst II  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

high commitment to gaming
    great career opportunities

Cons

hard work and tough hours at times

keep pushing forward on digital and mobile

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!