GameStop

www.gamestop.com

Great Environment, some hiccups with higher management

Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) Athens, GA

ProsCompared with other retail jobs, the atmosphere and the people that you interact with are generally congenial and low-stress. Most people are happy to be shopping for video games, and most people who work in the store love games and helping customers with recommendations. The managers also recognize employees who work hard and try to improve the store beyond their normal duties, rewarding them with more hours and opportunities for advancement within the company.

ConsThe amount of hours to be divided among staff who work at a store can make it difficult to give everyone the hours that they want or need. It can also result in losing good employees because they need more hours to pay their bills. In my case, a regional manager's decision to reduce the store's employee hours resulted in my losing a promotion after I had been a keyholder for a while and quit the other part-time job I had used in combination with GameStop before the keyholder promotion. When that happened, I had to leave the company to get full-time employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that Regional Managers try to be sensitive to recent promotions and store employee hour ratios in their determination of hours per store.

The job like most others, has it's ups and downs.

Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) Fresh Meadows, NY

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Employee discounts. Being able to borrow used games. Some knowledge of whats coming in the future through store emails. Employee promotional stuff for some major games. Some… Cons: Hours at certain times of the year are not steady even for managers. The workload when theres barely hours for the staff to work at times. Some… Advice to Senior Management: Survey the staff about all the different aspects of an average day to see how things can be improved. Customers are the main focus for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

After a long career of trying to get ahead, I still ended up nowhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The salary and benefits are fair. The people I worked with were great… Cons: Hours are terrible for in-store work. A normal complaint for retail, but upper management clearly had no… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!