GameStop

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time

Pros

Good salary. Good benefits. Perks

Cons

Must work weekends and holidays

Relax and stay calm and all will be fine

1439 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Good concept, terrible company!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Help people get games and gaming platforms... (Feed the addiction!!)

Cons

As a successful manager of the local GameStop, I did my best not to hire "gamers", but good customer service people that know about games. We had fun with our customers and it showed in all of our measurables.

But GameStop is a very poorly run company, despite its recent stock surge and profitability. (Just ask BLOCKBUSTER how that goes- down from 9,000 stores to just 500 today.) Store employees are constantly pressured to add game reservations and subscriptions by haggling with customers of all ages. The problem is, GameStop upper management is rather careless when it comes to creating a culture of customer service and loyalty. Managers are constantly being shuffled around (So you can't make inroads to your "neighborhood" customer base!), rules take precedent over good customer common sense and staffing is skeleton at best. I can't tell you how many times I was the only person helping a store full of potential customers.

If you love games, and think it might be fun helping people "get their game on!", GameStop is not the right choice for anyone really interested in helping people. Managers are just glorified key holders with little or no customer service training.

Please... give your managers the tools to succeed. Labor % is the easiest way to control costs. Unfortunately if you don't invest in a good, in-depth training program and add a couple employees to "rove" around and "consult" with gamers, your draconian scheduling limitations will ruin an otherwise good business model.

As a mentor once said to me: "You can cut labor until all the way down to where you don't have any customers left!"

Game Advisory

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job. I had one good manager at the time and they ended up transferring them, I then was stuck with another manager who only cared for themselves.

Cons

Horrible bosses. They are constantly changing bosses because people usually do not stay there. Very stressful job, unorganized and managers are not properly trained on how to speak with their co -workers. I've had a manager cussing all the time, smoking pot very unprofessional people. Also people that fight for sales. It was really ridiculous and I am happy I am going to school to get a real job and stay away from that one.

Care more about your employer's.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop