There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Dynamic and fast

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at GameStop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you don't like sitting still this company will work for you.

Cons

High pressure and expectation. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

1304 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

If you don't need to work for money--then I recommend working here. Fun place!

Former Employee - Lead Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Lead Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Before I resigned they offered affordable insurance in my state which is unheard of.

They also encouraged you and trained you to move up in the company.

I went through ALOT of managers at my store but liked almost everyone of my team. It was a fun atmosphere. Not to mention, the attire was casual. Tattoos and piercing were also allowed to be visual on the body.

I feel that the opportunity to work in speciality retail/customer service with Gamestop was an overall good experience.

Cons

The amount of workable hours during the non-holiday season can be tight. At my store even the shift-leads were not getting close to full-time hours most of the time.

There are also sales goals to meet. There are no bonuses to exceeding goals. But if you want hours, you will meet and exceed these goals.

The pay scale at gamestop was low in my state, but I hear that this is different in other parts of the country. I worked at gamestop for three years and received a combined .30 raise. I started a minimum wage and yes, I was offered promotions.

The goals for sales are sometimes too high to be reasonable. This is especially true when you are a store in close vicinity to other stores, where volume of customers has to be expected to be lower.

Learn on your own time

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like gaming and gamers.

Cons

Upper management and corporate. At times you are given updates in the morning that must be done before you open that day. Submit pics to upper management so they know it's done as well. No additional help to open and have to get to the bank before the store opens too. You are given less than 85 hours per week to run the store. Open from 10-10. 12 hours a day average. 7 days a week. Inventory everyday. If you want 2 days off you use up half your weekly payroll allowance (in only 2 days). DO NOT GO OVER ON YOUR PAYROLL ALLOWANCE. If you do you can find another job. Many times you have price changes alone that can take a few hours to finish.Need to be finished before opening. Managers have to be in by 9am. Usually they get in earlier to have enough time to get things done. They work open to close too plenty too just to stay under the payroll allowance. No training or training hours for new employees. They know that they are buying stolen goods(used items) but they don't care. They only want your money.

Give back some of the stolen money you make from resales to the companies that created the games or products you're reselling. Offer a weekly payroll budget that isn't less than 4% on the P&L.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!