There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

It's all about reserves, subscriptions and web hits.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Engaged public that loves the product you sell. They enjoy feedback and suggestions. Happy parents really are a joy to deal with.

Cons

Oddly enough, they don't focus on sales or profit. You might know these things that drive your business. Not Gamestop, they want future sales so they push reserves, magazines and web hits. While these things will never show directly on anyone's P&L, they feel they are the drivers of a successful business. As explained to me, my staff should be like sharks and constantly attack for game reserves and subscriptions.

It's a shame you took a culture from EB games that was about selling and providing value to the guest and drove it away. It appears you really want assistants running the store while the DM's micro manage.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun for a while

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Best reasons are the health benefits, even though premiums are more expensive this year. There is also the so-so discount on product and the checkout policy.

Cons

GameStop has been a love hate thing for me. They have provided years of paychecks that have gone towards paying off my debt but the love ends there. Poor upper management leads to poor performance in the store. Home office changes their policies so often your head will spin and the pay is lousy to get treated like dirt everyday.

You are on the right track with the new surveys.the thing we are missing is support in the fork of payroll. I know it kills profits on paper but you may actually see gains when people can help the customers the right way.

2. For the kids...

Former Employee - Gamestop in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Gamestop in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Customer interactions are usually agreeable, even fun at times, And some of the benefits if you are a gamer.

Cons

Too much stress, limited hours, little opportunity for growth, incompetent managers, poor support from the corporate side

Listen to your front line.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop