There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

Awesome

Current Employee - Clerk in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Clerk in Austin, TX

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Fun, love games, discounts on items in store

Cons

the Customers can be very annoying

know facts about games, realease dates, rating, etc.

1363 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

reservation quotas

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Fun working environment, fun colleagues

Cons

Required reservations on new games makes working here feel like a used car salesman

Stop trying to push new intiatives on employees, pushing used game trade policy and reservation systems does not make a cohesive working environment

Satisfaction is dependent on location.

Current Employee - Game Adviser in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Game Adviser in Corona, CA

I have been working at GameStop

Pros

Working with video games is really fun, I do get to borrow games as an employee, and the discount is okay. The customers are generally alright. It is a good college job because the hours are flexible and it's easy enough to do until you graduate and can find something better.

Cons

It is a good job to have that can be fun if you have a good manager. The first manager I worked with and the one that hired me was fantastic, and I really enjoyed my job. Then they moved that manager and replaced that person with my current manager and I hate going to work now. Every day it feels like my job is on the line and I only work 4 hours a day, and that's maybe once a week too since hours have been cut and I am only a GA. So the hours are terrible and I am constantly being pressured to push products on the customers which they hate and makes them less inclined to continue to shop with us. My manager also plays favorites and promotes and hires friends and people that really suck up. Promotions and hiring are based on whether or not this manager likes you, not always about seniority or skill and work ethic. So be careful about what location you apply to work at and ask a couple of Game Advisers how they like their managers, especially the store manager. Be sure to ask about what kind of a district manager runs the area, as well. The district managers have a huge impact on how managers run their stores in this company, if the district manager is terrible then pretty much every store you work for in the area is going to be terrible.

Pushing reservations and subscriptions on customers when it's unnecessary and clearly something they are not interested in detracts from their shopping experience. Management should also pay more attention to how employees are being treated in the stores rather than just focusing on the bottom line and ignoring the human resource aspect of managing a retail company that relies heavily on its employees to make sales.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop