Overworked

Current Employee - Firearms Sales Associate in Sherwood, AR
Current Employee - Firearms Sales Associate in Sherwood, AR

Pros

Gander Mountain offers great associate discounts. The pay is not too bad for a retail sales associate. Hours are good.

Cons

Difficult to get time off. Never enough help on shift.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the customers in the store, rather than the customers that call just because they have nothing better to do. Give the associate a little more respect.

Other Employee Reviews for Gander Mountain

Fun Place To Work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tyler, TX

Pros

Great Employee Discount. Its fun to work in an enviroment that you like to enjoy outside of work. Relationships with customers are built and good friends are made. Good medical, and 401k. Gander Mountain is going private and we all hope good things come of this.

Cons

Company has made more changes in the last 3 yrs than anyother I have worked for. Gander is not set up for growth at this time. They need to focus on Core objectives to regain market share. Pricing is out of line compared to any store carrying the same products even mom and pop shops. Promotions are hard to come by even for the best managers in the chain. Growth potential at this point is limited.

Advice to Management

You are in a losing battle if you think that other retailers are going to follow your example of higher price. I am sure other retailers are thinking you for sending customers to them. Get control of this and customers will slowly come back to your doors although it will take some time.

2. Working at Gander Mountain

Pros

Gander Mountain was a really fun place to work. The coworkers are a great team and offer unlimited support. Their entry-level pay was awesome, too.

Cons

Some of the management is on a bit of a power trip. I was in high school at the time and had to take off for my graduation - I was denied the day off. After talking to another manager, however, I did get the day off.

Advice to Management

The Gander Mountain management team should take into consideration that many of their workers are only in high school and have to balance school, a personal life, and work. They should also watch how close they get to those who work under them.