Customer Serivice

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Knoxville, TN
Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The store has pretty cool inventory.

Cons

Upper level management doesn't know what goes on in stores

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not too bad, but I wouldn't want to work there for too long.

Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Gander Mountain part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great opportunity to sell and learn about products that you use. Customers are usually willing to talk about hunting or fishing which makes the job much more fun. The co-workers are great too. The employee discount and training programs are a great way to get hands on experience with products while getting some awesome new gear for yourself.

Cons

Lot's of pressure to reach sales and credit card goals. Even when goals are met, there is constant pressure to get more with little incentive. Management will use any chance to limit benefits or bonuses. Don't expect raises very often if you are commissioned sales.

Advice to Management

Reward employees for doing a great job, most part-time employees work very hard for little recognition. Store management shouldn't get bonuses for the work the average employee does.

Management ruins what could be a great job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tonawanda, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tonawanda, NY

I worked at Gander Mountain part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The discounts are very good especially if you take advantage of the online opportunities. The other employees are usually good people and the customers tend to be okay.

Cons

- In the 5+ years I was there our store had 7 managers. Some lasted only a month or two before transferring. - The store is finally being remodeled after 15 years of neglect. We had part of an air handling unit fall into the store and the reaction of district management was to duct tape the parts together until corporate would allow them to fix the unit. The changing rooms would not lock, bathroom constantly over flowed, etc. The store was in worse condition than the local Walmart. - Zero training from the management. I was lucky that I knew about hunting and camping. Many of the hires knew nothing and neither did the management. It was my job as a part timer to train the new management and employees in our department. By the end all of the training was done online, on the employees own time, by a third party service. You were required to take the training but they would not pay for your time to train or allow your to train at work. - It started out that those who were hired had to be familiar with the outdoors. By the end of my time there they were hiring people who could sell credit cards. Management was not better. They were brought over from Sears and Target and tried running what is a specialty retailer as a big box general store. - There is still a push to only focus on protection plans, credit cards and accessory sales. If you were to sell a pair of boots you have to sell 2-3 other accessories totaling $25 or more or you were reprimanded. It didn't matter if you sold $5000 worth of boots in a day. If the accessory sales were not up you would get your hours cut or moved to the worst times. - The inventory system is a joke. Regularly products were out of stock for weeks. The management and inventory control people had no idea what products stores actually needed and would belittle you or ignore your requests. I remember one year our store got 20 pairs of snowshoes in sometime around October. They were gone by Thanksgiving and we were never sent more. The reason was that they did not think we were a good market for that stuff. We get 120 inches of snow a year and a winter that lasts 4-5 months. We ended up sending a lot of customers to Dick's and EMS who had stock. Another time we got a large shipment of fishing gear used in saltwater fishing. Apparently one of the buyers though the great lakes were just like the ocean and we need the stuff. We ended up sending almost a full truck load of inventory to Florida where there is salt water. I could keep going on but the largest problem is that as a part timers (and to an extent full timers) you are a warm body. No matter how hard you work, your skill set, how much your sales are, etc. you are not appreciated by management. You are only as good as your last mistake or your last failed quota. There is no positive feedback, training, reviews, raises or acknowledgement my the management.

Advice to Management

Your stores are a mess and in general you are trying to run the store like the Walmart of outdoor stores. Look at your competition. REI, EMS, Bass Pro, Cabelas. They all have a few things in common. - Clean, well maintained stores - Employees who are trained very well but are also expected to come in with knowledge - Employee training on new products and seasonal changes - Classes for the general public introducing new skills - Affiliations with local outdoor clubs or university clubs - IT stuff that works - Easy stock order, good inventory controls and a buyer force that works for the front line workers - Management who are given freedom to run the store as needed and not micromanaged from a board room in Minnesota - No quotas on accessory sales, credit cards, warranties, etc. - EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION!!!!!!! We make you money, treat us like professionals and not scum.