There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Dissapointing in the extreme.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Looks great on your resume
You receive a wealth of experience doing your job and the jobs of other people
Great vacation, holiday and sick leave

Cons

Many moons ago, Gannett was a great place to work. Management actively invested in you and your career and advancement was a given if you put in the work.

Now, advancement and projects are directed towards favorites in order to shield them from layoffs.

I also feel that upper management - across the board - is busy stuffing as much money in their pockets before Gannett crashes and burns. Their incentive is to produce greater yearly cost savings which in turn apparently determines their annual bonuses.

How does upper management justify yearly furloughs, buy-outs and flat merit increases yet continue to collect upwards of million dollar bonuses? It's great that Gracia eliminated daily lunches and assigned parking spaces for upper management but those never affected my salary. Outrageous bonuses for her and the others do.

Furloughs
Little to no annual merit or cost of living increases
Rampant favoritism - you finally learn it IS who you know and not what you know
Little recognition unless you're on the favorite list

Stop the massive bonuses to upper management while furloughing the employees that do the work. If Gannett is not doing well enough for you to provide 5% increases to deserving staff, it isn't doing well enough to pay upward of million dollar bonuses to upper management.

Staff has given as much as we can give so we ask you to put some skin in the game if you truly want to save this company. Eliminate the bonuses.

378 Other Employee Reviews for Gannett (View Most Recent)

Great "in the trenches" experience, glad to have moved on.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Some great mentors, I really benefitted from the coaching from my Ad Director.

Cons

The commission opportunities fell through the floor while working there, obviously related to the economy. One enormous criticism is that they refuse to compete. There were a great deal of new businesses that started while I was at Gannett. The paper I worked for has continued to decline as these much smaller, independent companies thrive.

Compete!

It is a changing industry and you know it

Former Employee - Circulation Manager
    Former Employee - Circulation Manager

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Great People work there and care about their community. It did me right for 15 years. I worked my way from secretary to director. But that would never happen in todays envirmonent

Cons

It is owned by Gannett which does not give care a bit about it'e people or the product. I would never recommend Gannett as a company to anyone

The people in Jackson are great -- Get rid of Gannett upper management before it runs the local paper out of business

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!