There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

It is overall an interesting experience to work for Gannett but get ready to put in some long hours

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in McLean, VA

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you find a right position for you, there is room for growth and movement between departments and divisions. Many people I met worked there 10-20 years. The company offers some cutting-edge opportunities in digital media.

Cons

The company is cutting costs aggressively on all fronts so the quality of benefits has deteriorated. Your job might be unstable as the company seems to go through an organizational change about once a year.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to your employees' work/life balance issues. Many people I worked with were burning out on projects, a couple even had to go on medical leave because of that. Happy employees are productive employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Interview process

Current Employee - Digital Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Digital Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than benefits, no real reason to work in this industry. They claim to be forward thinking and expanding their scope but have not.

Cons

Management very rude and non-responsive. Interviews go well and then they do not communicate for 10 days. They leave you in the dark.

Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Photojournalist
    Former Employee - Photojournalist

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's better than unemployment, but not much. This sentence is just to meet the minimum word requirement.

Cons

Where to start? Here goes, in the order I thought of them: I worked my tail off and took on many additional responsibilities that others in my job did not. My additional compensation for doing so was $0.00. Massive amounts of layoffs made everybody fear for their job. My station was stuck using cameras that were much older and far less reliable than those at competing stations. There was constant talk of the company not being financially solvent, yet the former CEO got a golden parachute worth more than $30 million and included access to a country club (he retired partly due to back issues, yet he can still somehow play golf???). Corporate tries to implement a one-size-fits-all solution to all of their LOCAL NEWS stations across the country. Morale was terrible and many talented people left as a result.

Advice to Management

I think this will equate to talking to a brick wall, but here goes anyway: Pay your employees more and give annual raises. Give stations more autonomy in their editorial direction and allocation of resources. What works in one market might not work in another. You keep placing a huge emphasis on station websites, so hire more people to maintain them.