There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Prepare for despair! This is a chain gang!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A paycheck. And prizes for most calls made during a "power hour." All to make up for a lackluster lead list.

Cons

FYI - Gannett DESC is a subsidiary of CareerBuilder. You sell ads for both online and the print publications. Expect to be given a list of about 1700 or so businesses that have already been worked over by Gannett DESC's big brother, CareerBuilder. These businesses are "cold" businesses that haven't advertised in a year. You are not allowed on the internet, so you make about 100-120 calls a day - this means you will finish this list in about 17 business days. What to do for the rest of your time? Start over on the same list. "Uh, I know I just called you less than a month ago, and you weren't hiring then, but are you hiring now?" You never get any more leads. Your 1700 is all you get until you leave. If you do make a big sale, and the business is franchised, the deal will immediately be turned over to CareerBuilder for the credit, which means you get NOTHING. No commission, nothing. Many of these places are mom and pop businesses that cannot afford high rates and employ family. I was actually told that I needed to convince the owners that their nephew/cousin/etc. aren't performing as well as if they were to use CareerBuilder to find an outside worker. Shameless! Speaking of commission, don't expect to make your goal, ever, unless you are given one of the few prime markets. The people in those markets make their goal each month, while everyone else falls short. We have daily morning "stand-ups" which are ridiculous. They last about 45 minutes to 1.5hrs and are all about nonsense. Basically just trying to pump up the team for what is surely a completely boring and useless day pounding away at calls sure to yield very few results. It gets quite monotonous, and you start to yearn for your desk and daily set of calls. If you don't make the required 100-120 calls a day, you are questioned why and "warned," which goes in your file. Turnover here is absurd. When I was hired, I casually asked what the average turnover was and the HR person told me "100%." Yikes! When you are wanted out, expect to be picked on. An employee was written up for walking quickly to the door at 5pm (quitting time for 1/2 of the employees) due to a 5:30pm engagement she had - she was told that she was disturbing others with her quick walk and large swinging purse. Really?? Honestly, if you work here, don't be surprised if you're calling to the beat of a slave drum, because that's what you are.

Advice to Management

Get employees better leads and for heaven's sake, allow them to use the internet to break up the day!

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

1. A step back for my career

Former Employee - Creative Manager in New Castle, DE
    Former Employee - Creative Manager in New Castle, DE

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The great part of my position with this company was the start-up of a new product. No previous work to live up to or try to match or do better than.

Cons

The issue was using lifers with the company in the senior level positions. Those were the ones who stifled creativity and halted progress. Supporting other previously employed teammates over the new and improved.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look into the politics being created by "bullies" picking on the new kid.

Overall a good company to work for, although doesn't feel like the most stable at times.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair Pay - Feel like it is on par with what should be paid for my position as a graphic designer. Good Hours - Not required to do overtime very often, and flexible if I need to take a longer lunch. Time Off - 2 to 4 weeks off according to the time you have been working for the company. Plus personal days and sick days.

Cons

Furloughs - Have been required to take a week off without pay for the last several years. Seems like this is getter better though. Advancement - Working hard does not get you promoted. It seems that the worst employees are the first to get promoted, maybe because they are good at lying and telling you what you want to hear.

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees for the work they do. Also don't underestimate their talent. Very often I personally feel under-valued and under-appreciated. Often overlooked to do tasks that I am capable of because management thinks I am only capable of doing one task. I have the ability to learn new skills and adapt my capabilities. Please utilize me to my full potential and pay me for it instead of hiring someone that is no qualified or promoting someone that is a subpar employee.