Gannett
www.gannett.com McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

Prepare for despair! This is a chain gang!

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time for less than a year

ProsA paycheck. And prizes for most calls made during a "power hour." All to make up for a lackluster lead list.

ConsFYI - Gannett DESC is a subsidiary of CareerBuilder. You sell ads for both online and the print publications.

Expect to be given a list of about 1700 or so businesses that have already been worked over by Gannett DESC's big brother, CareerBuilder. These businesses are "cold" businesses that haven't advertised in a year. You are not allowed on the internet, so you make about 100-120 calls a day - this means you will finish this list in about 17 business days. What to do for the rest of your time? Start over on the same list. "Uh, I know I just called you less than a month ago, and you weren't hiring then, but are you hiring now?" You never get any more leads. Your 1700 is all you get until you leave.
If you do make a big sale, and the business is franchised, the deal will immediately be turned over to CareerBuilder for the credit, which means you get NOTHING. No commission, nothing.
Many of these places are mom and pop businesses that cannot afford high rates and employ family. I was actually told that I needed to convince the owners that their nephew/cousin/etc. aren't performing as well as if they were to use CareerBuilder to find an outside worker. Shameless!

Speaking of commission, don't expect to make your goal, ever, unless you are given one of the few prime markets. The people in those markets make their goal each month, while everyone else falls short.

We have daily morning "stand-ups" which are ridiculous. They last about 45 minutes to 1.5hrs and are all about nonsense. Basically just trying to pump up the team for what is surely a completely boring and useless day pounding away at calls sure to yield very few results. It gets quite monotonous, and you start to yearn for your desk and daily set of calls. If you don't make the required 100-120 calls a day, you are questioned why and "warned," which goes in your file.

Turnover here is absurd. When I was hired, I casually asked what the average turnover was and the HR person told me "100%." Yikes!

When you are wanted out, expect to be picked on. An employee was written up for walking quickly to the door at 5pm (quitting time for 1/2 of the employees) due to a 5:30pm engagement she had - she was told that she was disturbing others with her quick walk and large swinging purse. Really??

Honestly, if you work here, don't be surprised if you're calling to the beat of a slave drum, because that's what you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet employees better leads and for heaven's sake, allow them to use the internet to break up the day!

A step back for my career

Creative Manager (Former Employee)
New Castle, DE

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The great part of my position with this company was the start-up of a new… Cons: The issue was using lifers with the company in the senior level positions. Those were the… Advice to Senior Management: Take a closer look into the politics being created by… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It is .. what it is.

Producer (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Few people are ever let go unless their jobs are… Cons: It's a typical massive corporation No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Gannett.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gannett reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gannett CEO Gracia Martore. All reviews posted anonymously by Gannett employees.