There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Interview process

Current Employee - Digital Sales  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Digital Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros

Other than benefits, no real reason to work in this industry. They claim to be forward thinking and expanding their scope but have not.

Cons

Management very rude and non-responsive. Interviews go well and then they do not communicate for 10 days. They leave you in the dark.

378 Other Employee Reviews for Gannett (View Most Recent)

Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Photojournalist
    Former Employee - Photojournalist

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's better than unemployment, but not much. This sentence is just to meet the minimum word requirement.

Cons

Where to start? Here goes, in the order I thought of them: I worked my tail off and took on many additional responsibilities that others in my job did not. My additional compensation for doing so was $0.00. Massive amounts of layoffs made everybody fear for their job. My station was stuck using cameras that were much older and far less reliable than those at competing stations. There was constant talk of the company not being financially solvent, yet the former CEO got a golden parachute worth more than $30 million and included access to a country club (he retired partly due to back issues, yet he can still somehow play golf???). Corporate tries to implement a one-size-fits-all solution to all of their LOCAL NEWS stations across the country. Morale was terrible and many talented people left as a result.

I think this will equate to talking to a brick wall, but here goes anyway: Pay your employees more and give annual raises. Give stations more autonomy in their editorial direction and allocation of resources. What works in one market might not work in another. You keep placing a huge emphasis on station websites, so hire more people to maintain them.

Contractor

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Contractor in Greenville, SC

I worked at Gannett part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The position was Flexable, decent pay.

Cons

Very early morning hours, no room for growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!