Pretty boring

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good amount of paid time off, overtime (if you're into that sorta thing). Nice supervisors.

Cons

Schedule changes... every few months or so your schedule would change, and not always for the better. I got bumped from a 4 day week (12-10:30) to a 5 day week (3-11 or something annoying like that) and they would not budge. Little to no raises. Sometimes too much mandatory overtime. A VERY boring job building boring newspaper ads.

Advice to Management

Yes, the newspaper business is floundering but giving people incentives (like raises...) to work hard isn't a bad idea!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Low morale, pay and sense of hope.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good entry-level position to pay the bills until you find a real job. Its journalism and design related, so it looks better on a resume than working at Starbucks (although Starbucks probably pays better).

Cons

As a Graphic Artist at the Indianapolis GIADC, I have come to realize that this is where hope goes to die. Don't expect to be valued as an employee or individual – its all about the bottom line. The title "design center" is an absolute joke, with no emphasis on creativity or pride in one's work. The turnover rate is extremely high as no effort is made to nurture current employees and encourage growth. The standard for new hires is becoming lower and lower – the last batch looked like they were recruited in a methadone clinic. Needless to say, design ability and technical skills are no longer a priority here. The starting pay is embarrassingly low. Management often plays favorites and doesn't care to interact with 70 percent of their employees. My direct supervisor literally couldn't remember my name a year into working here, despite me having to remind her EVERY SINGLE TIME. Weekly "standup" group meetings (which should ideally be used to motivate) have turned into glorified complain-fests from management. Raises based on performance are absolutely out of the question. Despite consistently exceeding company standards and receiving nothing but positive feedback, I have only received one 20 cent per hour raise after several years. In addition, expect your hours to be reduced at a whim with mandatory furloughs, with no consideration to how this would affect a household's budget. Company-wide no one at Gannett feels job security. Rumblings of layoffs are constant – this ship is clearly sinking and there are not enough lifeboats.

Advice to Management

Attempt to encourage and develop talent. Try to create some kind of positive office culture. Offer performance-based incentives and raises. Create a more collaborative, team environment. Take the time to learn something about direct reports (including their names).

2. Not my dream job, but a good job!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, extensive training, good pay, good rewards, and attainable revenue and productivity goals!

Cons

Calls can be monotonous and boring. Sometimes, if you're working with a limited number of accounts, repeatedly calling the same business with two employees month after month to see if they're hiring can be nerve wracking.

Advice to Management

I would say that management is on the right track, continuing to grow and develop in a manner that has been good for employees and is good for the company in the current market.