There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

the job is Intense but pays off

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

very friendly work environment - I had fun at work

Cons

work load is very stressful

387 Other Employee Reviews for Gannett (View Most Recent)

Low morale, pay and sense of hope.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good entry-level position to pay the bills until you find a real job. Its journalism and design related, so it looks better on a resume than working at Starbucks (although Starbucks probably pays better).

Cons

As a Graphic Artist at the Indianapolis GIADC, I have come to realize that this is where hope goes to die. Don't expect to be valued as an employee or individual – its all about the bottom line. The title "design center" is an absolute joke, with no emphasis on creativity or pride in one's work. The turnover rate is extremely high as no effort is made to nurture current employees and encourage growth. The standard for new hires is becoming lower and lower – the last batch looked like they were recruited in a methadone clinic. Needless to say, design ability and technical skills are no longer a priority here. The starting pay is embarrassingly low. Management often plays favorites and doesn't care to interact with 70 percent of their employees. My direct supervisor literally couldn't remember my name a year into working here, despite me having to remind her EVERY SINGLE TIME. Weekly "standup" group meetings (which should ideally be used to motivate) have turned into glorified complain-fests from management. Raises based on performance are absolutely out of the question. Despite consistently exceeding company standards and receiving nothing but positive feedback, I have only received one 20 cent per hour raise after several years. In addition, expect your hours to be reduced at a whim with mandatory furloughs, with no consideration to how this would affect a household's budget. Company-wide no one at Gannett feels job security. Rumblings of layoffs are constant – this ship is clearly sinking and there are not enough lifeboats.

Attempt to encourage and develop talent. Try to create some kind of positive office culture. Offer performance-based incentives and raises. Create a more collaborative, team environment. Take the time to learn something about direct reports (including their names).

It is a large corporation with numerous small finger outlets, so the top doesn't know what is going on below.

Former Employee - Special Publications Editor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Special Publications Editor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have many daily newspaper holdings, and as a journalist, it is a place to get a byline.

Cons

Because of the corporate structure, the smaller publications are run like small businesses under the corporate umbrella. In that structure, there is room for collusion and a power struggle between people who have no business in a news room. People with no sense of news value are making decisions about what goes on the front page and the overall product suffers.

Keep the journalists in the newsroom and let them write. An employee whose job has been eliminated because of corporate cutbacks should not be allowed to re-invent herself as an "editor" just by purchasing an AP stylebook, and changing her title.

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett