Gannett

www.gannett.com

Low morale, pay and sense of hope.

Graphic Artist (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood entry-level position to pay the bills until you find a real job. Its journalism and design related, so it looks better on a resume than working at Starbucks (although Starbucks probably pays better).

ConsAs a Graphic Artist at the Indianapolis GIADC, I have come to realize that this is where hope goes to die. Don't expect to be valued as an employee or individual – its all about the bottom line. The title "design center" is an absolute joke, with no emphasis on creativity or pride in one's work. The turnover rate is extremely high as no effort is made to nurture current employees and encourage growth. The standard for new hires is becoming lower and lower – the last batch looked like they were recruited in a methadone clinic. Needless to say, design ability and technical skills are no longer a priority here. The starting pay is embarrassingly low. Management often plays favorites and doesn't care to interact with 70 percent of their employees. My direct supervisor literally couldn't remember my name a year into working here, despite me having to remind her EVERY SINGLE TIME. Weekly "standup" group meetings (which should ideally be used to motivate) have turned into glorified complain-fests from management. Raises based on performance are absolutely out of the question. Despite consistently exceeding company standards and receiving nothing but positive feedback, I have only received one 20 cent per hour raise after several years. In addition, expect your hours to be reduced at a whim with mandatory furloughs, with no consideration to how this would affect a household's budget. Company-wide no one at Gannett feels job security. Rumblings of layoffs are constant – this ship is clearly sinking and there are not enough lifeboats.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttempt to encourage and develop talent. Try to create some kind of positive office culture. Offer performance-based incentives and raises. Create a more collaborative, team environment. Take the time to learn something about direct reports (including their names).

It is a large corporation with numerous small finger outlets, so the top doesn't know what is going on below.

Special Publications Editor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

I worked at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros: They have many daily newspaper holdings, and as a journalist,… Cons: Because of the corporate structure, the smaller publications are run like small businesses under the corporate umbrella. In that structure, there is room for collusion… Advice to Senior Management: Keep the journalists in the newsroom and let them write. An employee whose job has been eliminated because of corporate… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Not a great place to be

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Gannett part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: They dont hire quality people Cons: No benefits for part time Advice to Senior Management: Better start training your help No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Gannett.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!