There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

In the beginning a wonderful company to work for employee centric, now...

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Myers, FL
Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People worked with and for. They kept up with technology as well as most. Benefits in the beginning made it a wonderful place to work. We all worked for one goal. Opportunity for advancement whether male or female.

Cons

They have lost all sense of company, loyalty and values as per employees and the work experience and customer service. Now just a company for the shareholders, by the shareholders and CEO's.

Bring back the old company I loved and was proud to work for. The company that valued loyalty and longevity. Bring back the company that valued customer service. Bring back that local newspaper feel. The newspaper I was proud to have a hand in producing. That I said I did that, that is my work. It has been a very sad thing to watch and see. The years of a proud newspaper. Newspaper is NOT dead, but you are killing it as sure as rumor has. I am not naive enough to have realized that things had to be done to keep the recession from destroying our paper, but take the blinders off now. Work to rebuild that once proud company before it is to late. It is all about customer service from a local level. Local work.

393 Other Employee Reviews for Gannett (View Most Recent)

Poor culture, poor pay

Former Employee - Reporter in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Reporter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Gannett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Station has a good reputation in town, resources of gannett

Cons

Lots of cost cutting, terrible culture

Focus on people, not money

Demoralizing

I have been working at Gannett full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Local efforts are positive with employees doing the best they can with limited resources.

Cons

Staffs have been slashed by corporate in order to keep profits high. Local newsrooms are not adequately staffed to cover their communities. Corporate initiatives do not always align with local markets. Initiatives are pushed through even when there is clear signs of failure. Consolidation of local papers into regional publications is obvious, but corporate is drawing out the process in hopes no one will notice. Layoffs happen regularly and without warning and are no longer announced on a corporate level and are conducted site by site without explanation.

Invest in your local staffs to keep product quality high. If regional/state publications are the goal then just do it instead of drawing it out, readers are onto that tact. Stop hiring endless strings of VPs and marketing managers who only market themselves and never discuss the company in any interviews.

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett