Gannett
www.gannett.com McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

Demoralizing

ProsLocal efforts are positive with employees doing the best they can with limited resources.

ConsStaffs have been slashed by corporate in order to keep profits high. Local newsrooms are not adequately staffed to cover their communities. Corporate initiatives do not always align with local markets. Initiatives are pushed through even when there is clear signs of failure. Consolidation of local papers into regional publications is obvious, but corporate is drawing out the process in hopes no one will notice. Layoffs happen regularly and without warning and are no longer announced on a corporate level and are conducted site by site without explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your local staffs to keep product quality high. If regional/state publications are the goal then just do it instead of drawing it out, readers are onto that tact. Stop hiring endless strings of VPs and marketing managers who only market themselves and never discuss the company in any interviews.

Management is Horrible

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than a year

Pros: There is a definite opportunity to make a lot of money in the… Cons: In my experience, few managers have had the skills and qualities needed to encourage and support sales staff. Apathy from managers has added greatly… Advice to Senior Management: I wouldn't even know where to start. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not very good at retaining employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gannett full-time

Pros: The company has lots of resources and there is room… Cons: The company tends to focus very intently on cutting costs (fair enough),… Advice to Senior Management: Don't be in such a bad mood all the time. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Gannett.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gannett reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gannett CEO Gracia Martore. All reviews posted anonymously by Gannett employees.