Horrible company.

Former Employee - Reporter in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Reporter in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I would not recommend that anybody work for this company unless they are absolute desperate for a job. On the positive side, parts of this company have been known for advances in Affirmative Action, which I see as a definite plus.

Cons

The only thing this company is the bottom line. This company cares nothing about quality, as long as the money is rolling in at a sufficient rate. It has some of the poorest managers I have encountered. It is known in recent decades for hiring young employees because they are cheap.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Old boy network is alive and well at Gannett if you are management, if not good luck.

Current Employee - Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, though its the same base level as it was 10 years ago with more deductions. Great staff down at the line level. You can park your brain at the door and get through the day just fine.

Cons

Frozen pay, managers that pat themselves on the back and spin everything to avoid responsibility. The managers exemplify Orwellian concepts found in Animal Farm and 1984, whilst forgetting that these were required reading for many in high school. As others have written, drink the Kool-Aid, replace your neck with a bobble spring and keep your opinions to yourself if they differ from the corporate line. Forward thinking from line level employees is given lip service and then ignored. If they could, Gannett would take a 10% tithe for the "priviledge" of working at one of their properties.

Advice to Management

Leadership at the local level is survival by agreeing with the people in McLean so but they need to look at the local market and saying "this is not what our base wants" so we are going to stay the course rather than listen to the consultants from somewhere far away with connections in Virginia. Spend the money to upgrade and repair instead of the string and bubble gum approach to keep things working. Increase our pay - if McLean can double salaries and hand out ridiculous bonuses for themselves while the rank and file took pay cuts, unpaid furloughs and increased workloads to "keep the company afloat" just exemplifies management's attitude towards workers. This isn't the old south and the workplace is not a plantation, so keep your food and t-shirts and give us the pay we deserve and merit. Remember the base, the internet is not the new end all income stream.

2. Ship going down, management in full on panic.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of employees still giving it their all.

Cons

Staff levels have already fallen below minimum needed for company to continue operations with decent quality; management either does not realize this or, more likely, does not care.

After spending last two years trying and failing to become an internet company, company is now trying to become a TV only company; do NOT work for any of the newspapers, they are just being stripmined for the advertising revenue that is left.