Gannett

www.gannett.com

Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Reporter  in  Wilmington, DE
Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Wilmington, DE

Pros

I have been lucky enough to have worked at three Gannett locations in six years. Recently moved back from CH to Delaware for a better opportunity. That's one of the things about this company, there are lots of opportunities even in a difficult job marketplace. Journalists are valued, and I have been through a lot as the company has gone through some unbelievably tough times. But through it all we've served our customers. And I've been able to move ahead, both in job responsibility and compensation.

I've been to several training programs with Gannett, and I think these have given me not only an increase in knowledge but also visibility with editors. That has helped, along with working on some really challenging projects, at allowing me to get ahead. I can only hope that business gets better in these tough times.

Cons

It's not Gannett, but the industry that is going through so many tough times. I see layoffs around the country as newspaper companies downsize. But with all the digital stuff we do, we see some bright lights out there. If we can solve the advertising issue, get some new business, we will survive.

Communicate as much as you can. And communicate in various ways.

Other reviews for Gannett

Company On The Decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Pros

1. The Benefits offered a quite comprehensive.
    2. Pretty good comraderie among non-management empoyees.
    3. A few highly skilled people do and formerly did work there.
    4. The organization does try to make changes in their approach albeit a bit slowly.

Cons

1. Poorly organized and structured from corporate to the individual Newspaper level.
    2. Extremely bad systems especially the advertising billing system which in the recent conversion went from bad to worse..
    3. Too many Senior Level Managers at the Newspaper Level and the Corporate levels are out of touch with the way the world does business today.
    4. Senior Management espcially at corporate sets unattainable goals which leads to projects constantly missing deadlines.
    5. First level managers and Directors are incapable of giving proper performance appraisals and motivating employees through difficult times.
    6. The idea of having separate units for Customer Service and Credit is really ludicrous. This is definitely an area of restructuring.
    7. Limited ability for Senior Management at the Journal News to listen to feedback given by the ppeople who report to them. This relates to recommendations regarding where to invest revenue efforts.
    8. A complete lack of support by Corproate IT in supporting the local newspapers. Their lack of availability in solving critical systems conversion projects specifically reporting issues led to much confusion and chaos that has continued unnecessarilly.
    9. Way too many bottleneck within the Journal News and with the corporate office. Change happens eventually but way too slowly.
    10. Rates are not competitive with other meia products in the industry.

Many layoffs and furloughs have taken place at the Journal News which is truly sad for this once proud company. Truthfully the management at the Journal News should consider proposing to sever ties with Corproate Gannett and making a special arrangement with them on a few issues. The Journal News has less to offer than smaller more efficiently run companies like Chase Media, More Sugar and The Examiner. The Journal News needs to restructure in relevance to todays market. I suggest they break away from Ganeett because Gannett is holding them back in some ways. If Gannett can be more cooperative then maybe the main product, the Journal News can ublish once or twice a week as opposed to every day and for daily news to appear on the LoHud site. Other areas of improvement are:

1. To slowly carefully expand the company's product and service base. Why not become more involved in printing services as well as direct mail, database services, digital media and computer consulting.

2. Think younger in the terms of social media.

3. Invest more money in the Beer and Food and Wine and Food Festivals as these events brought a great comraderie among the employees a well as attracted many people to the event.

4. Overhaul the business systems and move to a system that is not a customized program developed by out of touch programmers. Look towards an SAP or Hyperion which allows importing and reporting of data. The AS400 and Genesys Programs need to be dropped. If corporate does not like this, then maybe the propsoed break I express earlier for The Journal News should take place sooner rather than later.

5. Stress to first level managers and directors to give constructive feedback and take the time to explain things clearly. Managers and Directors who fail to reach out to their subordinates should be put on a progressive discipline program and terminate if they do not improve.

6. Under no circumstances should an employee have to work beyond 8 PM on any given day. If this is happening to often, this is an area of restructuring. There are employees have been taying pat midnight for too long. If this is happening something is either worng with the employee or the process. Action must be taken immediately.

Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Retail Account Executive  in  Asbury Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Retail Account Executive in Asbury Park, NJ

Pros

A financially sound company, one that has been in a very tough industry that has been beaten up and left for dead but still has found a way to not only survive but excel. The company has numerous opportunities to advance, as I've found out given a couple promotions in the last decade. The company offers decent benefits, and I can make very good incentive for meeting goals. The thing I like is that I'm free to speak with my manager about things, and get feedback not only on how I'm doing but what has to be done to be a better employee. The company maintained its match on the 401k plan when many competitors cut it out, and I appreciate it.

Cons

Our industry is a tough one, and it's harder to sell advertising in this environment. But we have tools available to help and management gives strong guidance. It would be easier if we had more staff support and more help with difficult sales. I'd like to have more time off.

Communicate as much as possible with what is going on in the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!