Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Wilmington, DE
Current Employee - Senior Reporter in Wilmington, DE

Pros

I have been lucky enough to have worked at three Gannett locations in six years. Recently moved back from CH to Delaware for a better opportunity. That's one of the things about this company, there are lots of opportunities even in a difficult job marketplace. Journalists are valued, and I have been through a lot as the company has gone through some unbelievably tough times. But through it all we've served our customers. And I've been able to move ahead, both in job responsibility and compensation. I've been to several training programs with Gannett, and I think these have given me not only an increase in knowledge but also visibility with editors. That has helped, along with working on some really challenging projects, at allowing me to get ahead. I can only hope that business gets better in these tough times.

Cons

It's not Gannett, but the industry that is going through so many tough times. I see layoffs around the country as newspaper companies downsize. But with all the digital stuff we do, we see some bright lights out there. If we can solve the advertising issue, get some new business, we will survive.

Advice to Management

Communicate as much as you can. And communicate in various ways.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Retail Account Executive in Asbury Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Retail Account Executive in Asbury Park, NJ

Pros

A financially sound company, one that has been in a very tough industry that has been beaten up and left for dead but still has found a way to not only survive but excel. The company has numerous opportunities to advance, as I've found out given a couple promotions in the last decade. The company offers decent benefits, and I can make very good incentive for meeting goals. The thing I like is that I'm free to speak with my manager about things, and get feedback not only on how I'm doing but what has to be done to be a better employee. The company maintained its match on the 401k plan when many competitors cut it out, and I appreciate it.

Cons

Our industry is a tough one, and it's harder to sell advertising in this environment. But we have tools available to help and management gives strong guidance. It would be easier if we had more staff support and more help with difficult sales. I'd like to have more time off.

Advice to Management

Communicate as much as possible with what is going on in the company.

2. Overall great place to work, but very corporate

Former Employee - Digital Media Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Digital Media Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I worked in the online division selling advertising. Pros - being part of a large company means more digital innovations than smaller companies, more room for advancement

Cons

A lot of politics and policies, from billing to working with other reps. Commission payout is a little funky and not always fair. Overall a good job though.

Advice to Management

Old newspaper policies need to be revisited, they don't apply anymore especially since websites will be the core money maker in the future. More online training - need to get ahead of the game.