Diversified company

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, ME
Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, ME

I worked at Gannett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of growth opportunity with many different branches to move around in.

Cons

serious communication problem between corporate and local management.

Other Employee Reviews for Gannett

Run quickly

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Gannett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Buttoned up in HR issues. Has a good direction. A lot of strength in their size.

Cons

Budgets are unreachable. They are cutting salaries across the board. Management only cares about themselves. Backstabbing is rewarded.

Advice to Management

They only care about the all mighty dollar. As they get richer, the working grunts get poorer.

Dishonest Practices + Poor Morale = Worst Job of My Career

Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Local Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Gannett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The insurance is decent, and some of the employees possess great teamwork.

Cons

The job title and description (as well as the promised compensation) that I received during the interview process did not line up with the actual job. Instead of a marketing role, I learned quickly that I was in a sales role. The company does not have a training structure, which made the job nearly impossible to do effectively since I had no prior newspaper or sales experience. To make matters worse, the environment was completely unstable with almost 100% turnover in a couple of years. I even witnessed two downsizes in other departments during my short time with the company. Management within my department would publicly berate an employee in front of other teammates, creating constant fear of job loss. When new leadership took over, I was forced out, instead of receiving proper guidance and support. HR listened to my concerns, but they did not investigate my issues with the culture. Gannett preaches work/life balance, but my department did not incorporate that philosophy. We were expected to work long hours, including weekends, to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees in terms of on-the-job training and support from management. The managers within my department only cared about the bottom line, and that mantra along with inaccurate job descriptions are what led to extreme turnover.