There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Good early on, sucked the last few years

Current Employee - Director  in  Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There really are no good things about working under the Gannett umbrella any longer. The best thing I did was to leave the company which reduced my stress level one-hundred fold. Money isn't everything and I don't miss this place at all.

Cons

Frozen salaries, benefit cost increases, doing more with fewer staff. Yup, there is no getting ahead financially here!

378 Other Employee Reviews for Gannett (View Most Recent)

Low morale, consistent layoffs, yet always hiring?

Current Employee - Advertising Executive  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Advertising Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gannett full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slashed benefits beginning 2014 and only offer 1 medical plan with a high deductible with zero contribution to meet from the company. Only real pros are those you take charge and claim for yourself. I walked away from this company with multiple certifications in digital marketing, solid relationships with hiring managers all over Nashville, and was able to take my knowledge, skills, and talent to a company who understands the value they offer in the digital marketplace.

Cons

Zero leadership in my department, though there were some pretty great managers in other departments that most likely would have taught me something."Head in the Sand" management style and managers who have more industry specific years of experience than you, but possess less knowledge about the actual processes, products, pricing or systems used day in and day out than you. Instead of embracing this fact and sharing their experience with you and strengthening their weaknesses by learning from their team, they constantly deflect and mask their ignorance at all costs.
    Probably the most disturbing bait and switch I observed while employed at this company was when an employee whose previous position was dissolved was hired into a new position on a new team even though the new hiring manager KNEW that within 1-2 months the company planned to layoff that whole team! In fact, 2 different managers had fought over this employee all wanting him/her to take a spot on their team, so if the employee had been placed on one of the other teams, they'd have been saved from the impending layoff.
    How can you convince someone to take a job when you already know that position has already been selected for downsizing?!
    I saw good people do horrible things to one another in a feeble attempt to survive in this cut throat atmosphere. Passive-aggressive, back-stabbing thrives here, and the only justice you'll ever see parceled out is when the layoff hammer finally lands on one of your coworkers who has personally stepped on multiple coworkers trying to save their own skin.

Do not distribute company wide email announcements and press releases claiming the big layoff in 2013 was the only shake up and everyone can rest easy now that it's over and then continue a quiet layoff thereafter taking out 2-5 employees at a time.
    Do NOT layoff employees while actively hiring for positions that are just on the other side of the cube wall!
    Don't hire people based on your new "work-flow" to only lay them off 3-6 months later when you change your mind and restructure the department yet again.
    Although the education is there for those who are hungry to learn and willing to teach themselves everything digital, the lack of support and proper checks and balances makes it impossible for Gannett to ever get their digital initiatives off the ground.

Gannett review

Former Employee - Reporter  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter in White Plains, NY

I worked at Gannett for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has a number of very talented individuals working there. It can do some things very well. It holds professional standards, for the most part. There is an emphasis on creating a family-friendly workplace.

Cons

Short-sighted and near-term thinking are predominant. There's a top-down sensibility that does not encourage flexibility. Group-think is another aspect of the corporate culture.

Look beyond the next quarter. Allow more flexibility, less structured behavior.

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!