Working for Gannett is a journalist's dream...right after a Pulitizer

Current Employee - Copy Editor/Designer  in  Monroe, LA
Current Employee - Copy Editor/Designer in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

The opportunities for career growth are exceptional and I appreciate the freedom I have with moving around the United States at different Gannett publications. The benefits are great, the management at my newspaper is very comforting and accepting of societal differences (I moved 1100 miles to work here) and they have been nothing if not professional, helpful and courteous to me. They helped me find a place to live, direct me to local services and have been completely professional about it all. I feel happy to go to work and I work in a comfortable and non-threatening environment, which I absolutely love. I wish to spend my career with Gannett.

Cons

As with most journalism jobs, the hours can be long and the job doesn't pay a ton of money. In fact, I'm hourly, and even though I work at least 40 hours every week, I would be more comfortable in a salaried position. I wish I had more flexibility with my days on and off. I also wish that there had been more of an orientation when I began working, rather than just being thrown into the job 100 percent. I wish there wasn't so much emphasis on sports at my newspaper, but I think that is just the belly of the beast down south, and I can accept that.

I would advise them to provide more training for new hires and for their human resources people to help with a long-distance transition more than they did for me. While I received much help, I am now stuck in a bad neighborhood apartment at the recommendation of an HR person who could've helped me avoid this situation.

Other Reviews for Gannett

Advertising in the newspaper industry

Former Employee - Advertising Executive
    Former Employee - Advertising Executive

I worked at Gannett

Pros

Gannett is a good place to work, as it is a very professional environment, yet laid back at the same time. As long as you do your job, and do it well, while maintaining rules and regulations, you succeed. You are paid for what you accomplish. If you do well, you make more money.

Cons

There's not a whole lot of regulation on hiring. Often times it is seen that the hired are those that are "friends" of the manager, and not those best suited for the job. This wouldn't normally be an issue, however it is a team environment and those hired are what comes between you and money. If they do a poor job, you don't make as much money. It is not Gannett's fault as a whole; however it reflects poorly.

See above.

On the Downward Slide

Current Employee - Multi-Media Journalist
    Current Employee - Multi-Media Journalist

I have been working at Gannett

Pros

Numerous opportunities all over the country. Still has some stations and newspapers that are award winning.

Cons

Cost cutting to the Nth degree. Consolidation of resources not very efficient. If you don't buy into the Gannett corporate policies, you're asked to leave. It's become more important to label and title everything instead of actually concentrating on the product. We are no longer "reporters" and "photographers" but instead we're merely "multi-media journalists" which means we've homogenized the industry, so everyone can do everything, but no one can do it well.

Make sure your employees are appreciated. Make sure your management staff knows what's important in the community. Don't sacrifice the high standards you've had for years.

There are newer employer reviews for Gannett.

Worked for Gannett? Contribute to the Community!