Gap International

www.gapinternational.com
There are newer employer reviews for Gap International

Consultant

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Springfield, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Some Travel
- Partial Expense Perks
- Low Benefits
- Lots of down time
- You can become a consultant with no experience!
- You get really good at "double talk"
- You will be able to sell freezers to eskimos in no time flat
- You will buy a power tie
- They are always hiring and recruiting

Cons

- Once you are in, you are there for a while, never mind experience that you can take with you. After hearing that I was there for several years, no other consultancy firm would touch me.
- Their Gap Days were beyond cringe worthy. Hope you like sharing and crying and cheerleading for any number of things that make very little sense.
- They force you into a community
- Their "inquiries" are way too much like something that is a common practice in scientology.
- More than a bit cult-like
- A true culture of BLAME
- Nobody can truly make a decision without a committee
- All of my co-workers seemed to have been there since day 1, or failed at their previous life goals.
- Their consultancy focuses on feelings and mind tricks, and has nothing to do with efficiency.
- They pay interns to leave good reviews on socially driven career websites (cough)
- The pay never matched the hours worked or the fulfillment from "just being there"
- CEO has a bit of a "anonymous leader" vibe. In four years, I never once saw her at the office, unless it was a company outing, conference, or meeting.
- Their clear focus on hiring only attractive people is appalling, if you are obese, forget it. Not for you.
- They only care about your family if they "join"
- Some of the senior consultants are a bit bully-ish
- If you need to talk about a serious problem, there is always a someone there to pretend to listen and care.
- They are always hiring and recruiting

You could recommend this place to someone you hate, or as a cruel practical joke.

I'm sorry if this sounds a tad harsh but it is the general consensus. Does anyone notice that all of the "positive", 4 star reviews are saccharin and clumped together at the same time?Even the cons are pros.
Quite frankly I think a place thats focuses on hiring pre-existing employees' friends and family over talent and experience kind of speaks for itself. If you were the CEO of a huge corporation, would you want these people taking your money to teach you how to act?

It's 2014, not 1993. Think about that next time you review your average salaries, business ethics, and overall company presentation.

87 Other Employee Reviews for Gap International (View Most Recent)

Great place for personal and professional growth, loved working there!

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Springfield, PA

I worked at Gap International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NATURE OF WORK: the work that the company does is highly interesting (it's not advisory business services like some other consulting firms, but revolves around the psychology/mindsets of extraordinary performance in business) and young associates get exposure to very high level executives from various industries. Personally, I loved client exposure, because the type of executives who work with Gap tend to be both extremely driven and open-minded. Moreover, every associate is involved in numerous areas (internally and externally with clients) which means that the work is quite diverse and rarely gets monotone.

CULTURE: the company is all about personal growth and you are expected to constantly challenge yourself. There is a lot of training and you would never be penalized because you feel like you do not know how to do something - everyone is extremely supportive. The executives actively seek to mentor and coach the associates which I found very helpful. Above all, the culture is highly entrepreneurial - you are not only allowed, but also encouraged to get involved in areas that interest you. For instance, I was interested in a couple of projects in the Marketing department and asked to get involved, which was met with great support (I had no previous experience in marketing). This gives you agency over your development.

PEOPLE: I loved the people with whom I worked. I left the company because I wanted to go to graduate school, but I was actually very sad to leave my colleagues who were just really awesome people.

Cons

PROCESSES: the company is growing very fast which means that some processes that were sufficient previously are no longer so and this sometimes creates bottlenecks. However, it seemed to me that the executives were constantly working on addressing such bottlenecks.

PERSONAL VS. WORK LIFE: not a "con" per se and it was not at all a problem for me, but it was an issue for people who did not enjoy working at the company – the culture is such that the lines between personal life and work blur a little at Gap. People get to know each other very well on a personal level. If you hate talking about your personal life, this might be an issue for you. Personally, I actually really liked the personable culture and retain great friendships even after leaving the company.

Make sure that the company's fast growth does not dilute the culture. Upgrade processes to avoid frustrating bottlenecks.

Great co-workers!

I have been working at Gap International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Consistent reviews of your performance
    Work is always challenging
    Make an impact on the way businesses operate
    Ability to travel the world

Cons

Night and weekend company meetings
    Salary not competitive with hours worked

There are newer employer reviews for Gap International