There are newer employer reviews for Gap

Mostly incredible, but it is full of politics, bureaucracy, and a fear of new big ideas.

Former Employee - Legal Administrator in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Legal Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gap full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, strong ideas, great community investment, management likes to leveraging dynamic skills from employees, and there is a strong desire to promote from within.

Cons

Big, big, big egos, often a lack of team spirit, very hierarchical, often pay lip service to new ideas and creativity, but still feel that they know best, and do best despite a decade + of sales that say otherwise...

Advice to Management

Level the business. Too much middle management creating bureaucracy, far too much hierarchy, and not enough honest transparency of failures, strategy, and request for creative input.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Typical retail business

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Queenstown, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Queenstown, MD

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, lenience towards lateness and slip-ups; fun attitude of staff

Cons

High company standards that almost seem unreal. Unprofessional staff, though fun at times, i think forget that they are at work and don't know what is appropriate to talk about at work.

Advice to Management

Be a little harsher on your floor employees that aren't doing anything and making the job harder for others.

Do you like sipping corporate Kool-Aid, and getting reprimanded? Work at Gap, then.

Former Employee - Clerk in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Clerk in Roseville, MN

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only "pro" would be that you get half off full-priced merchandise. However, if I was someone who didn't work there, it's actually cheaper to wait for the items to go on clearance, and use an additional percentage off.

Cons

-It's very training-intensive, however, I was not scheduled until three weeks after I completed my "training." When asked why I didn't know where certain things went on the floor, I was reprimanded, even though it was my first "real," shift. -I voiced that I did not want to work the cash-wrap, and I would much prefer to stock/unstock, because I am physically able to do so. I was repeatedly put on cash-wrap, regardless. -I was reprimanded for not folding the jeans correctly, even though in the training, I was never showed how to properly fold anything at all. -They have a very, very high turnover rate. -The pay sucks. 25 cents over minimum wage, no. -The GapCard. That's all.

Advice to Management

Actually train the individuals who are going to be representing your company. Maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high.