Great Company, Horrible Store Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gap was a really great company from the outside and had strong ties with their community and good incentives working for them. Also, the discount was dangerous because it was so good.

Cons

Store management was horrible. Manager had favorites and it showed because those were the people advancing. One mistake and it jeopardized everything and was unforgivable. Little to no hours, especially if you were going to school or had other priorities in life. Managers openly talked about sales associates to other workers and gossip and trash talk was rampant. Once they caught wind that I was leaving, the schedule was changed and I wasn't notified until a co-worker told me after the fact that I was due in. It was too late, I was already terminated. Very shady business practices. Very few good managers. The good ones are switched around to different stores.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more involved with store management and know the practices are not ideal and very unfair.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Exhausting and borderline unethical. If not for the great friends, discounts, and convenience I would have quit long ago

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gap part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount: Retail = 50% off full price, Outlet = 30% off on top of promos, Clearance = 10% off Some of my past managers have been amazing and very helpful. Flexible schedule

Cons

Terrible with pay and raises. I have worked for Gap for two years and have gotten two raises which together equal 57 cents/ hour even though I transferred to a store where the starting rate was 50 cents higher than my old store. This meant that with two years of experience and loyalty to the company I was training new people in who were making (at the time) 35 cents/hour more than me. That was not cool. Gap advertises to potential applicants for "competitive pay" which is a total lie. I have encountered more than one outrightly bitchy manager. The store I am currently at will do ANYTHING to ensure that you will not take a break on your shift (unless you are management). The policy is that for every four hours an employee will receive one paid 15 minute break, Gap's solution? Give only 3, 3.5, or 3.75 hour shifts. I have yet to take a break. This also means that you can't take another person's shift if it is going to make you work 4 hours or more in a row (because then you would have to take a break). Gapcard. You would not believe the pressure that is put on every employee to get a gapcard. In my store it's more scare-tactics than reward-tactics. If you don't get a card all month then you are in "the red" and have to go to "gapcard bootcamp" at the beginning of the next month which is basically just more training. There is no room to move up.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a break. You shouldn't be able to give out 3 hour shifts, they are super inconvenient. Where is this competitive pay?

2. Gap was fun at times but stressful too

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gap part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, you can learn a lot of things about retail

Cons

Crazy hours for floor and window changes

Advice to Management

Management at this particular store needs to work on communicating better with sales associates.