There are newer employer reviews for Garan

If you are smart and hard working, there is no better place in this industry to work.

Current Employee - Planner in New York, NY
Current Employee - Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Garan

Pros

I was surprised by some of the comments about benefits and time off. While Garan does not have a 401k, instead there is a defined pension plan that is much safer than the volatile 401k's. The medical plan is amazing with very little out-of-pocket expense to me. We get 10-12 days of paid holidays in addition to our vacation time. It is also not unusual for the office to close an extra day over a holiday weekend as an additional "thank you" for our hard work! The occasional sick/personal day is not deducted from our vacation time, unlike most companies I have worked. Garan is a profitable, financially stable company owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway. From my experience, Garan pays a competitive salary and has shown me that if you are smart and work hard, Garan will reward you. I'm proud to be part of the Garan family.

Cons

It is true Garan is not an "easy" place to work, but if you work smart, efficiently and are passionate about what you do, you will succeed. If your looking for a place to just "get by" this isn't the place for you. Hours can be long during crunch times, but that is nothing unusual for this industry.

Advice to Management

With the multitude of tasks to complete in such a fast-paced environment, it can be difficult to step back and understand the big picture strategy of the company. It would be helpful to hear from executive management more frequently on what's working, what's not, and where our efforts should be focused.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Interview and proceed with caution!!

I worked at Garan

Pros

Good Salary for NY location You will learn a lot about analytics within the fashion industry Some great people there who are passionate about success

Cons

No Work/Family Balance.. At alll.. Period... Sr. Management difficult to work with in most cases Nepetism is a huge conflict of interest problem that has never been addressed Unrealistic deadlines Single account (Wal MArt) no real customer base

Advice to Management

Start by getting new and fresh management to shake things up. The company has turned into a "clique" company that really does not care about those who are not a part of the inner circle.

Would avoid if you enjoy having a life outside of work

I worked at Garan

Pros

Good Salaries, Prime location, fast paced work environment, Highly analytical

Cons

Favorites are played with pretty much everything involving people development Works like a clique factory in the organization Rampant nepetism in the corporation (VP's giving jobs to relatives) Extreme work hours with minimal direction Little room for advancement. Always fearing for your job

Advice to Management

Teach upper managment how to relate to employees. Everything should not end in managment losing their cool and yelling. Develop career plans for top talent rather than stifling them into the ground.