There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

Overall positive experience

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Design Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in aviation engineering. My review applies to the aviation engineering not consumer engineering. Excellent benefits. Average pay. Great work environment. Casual. Management is NOT big-headed. They are involved and helpful. Sometimes they micromanage, but it's not done on purpose. It's done with genuine good intention (and ignorance). If you're not a fearful person, you can be open with anyone. _Everyone_ is a genuinely good person. The majority of people are intelligent too. Job security. Hard work is noticed and rewarded.

Cons

I work in aviation engineering. My review applies to the aviation engineering not consumer engineering. Aviation is growing into having a big company feel. It's burdened with process. I personally have a hard time seeing how the process really improves the product and customer experience. One can still guide change, but it's microscopic change. Engineers are thinking less and simply following the process. 'You must follow the process!!!' Not many people think outside of the box. The engineers have great technical capability and analytical intelligence but little perspective on what engineering's role in a company is. Less than half of the work is engineering these days. The engineers _are_ the ones that make it that way, but I don't think they realize that. I think the engineers tend to think it's the FAA and other regulatory agencies that make it that way. If you're OK being someone that simply shows up for work and does what's required of you, then you will probably find the company does not have many cons. I personally feel like I'm often doing work that is somewhat empty.

Maintain focus on keeping the excellent work environment, but learn how to better hold people accountable.

256 Other Employee Reviews for Garmin (View Most Recent)

There seemed to be a great future ahead when I started but it turned into just a job.

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package is great; one of the best I've ever had.

Cons

- The product support division carries a virtual life sentence. Very few people get to move out of the department or get meaningful promotions.
    - Moral is almost nonexistent.

Listen! The employees convey the thoughts and opinions of the customers. When you ignore the employees, you are effectively ignoring the customers.

Long Time Garmin-ite

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very stable company. Small company feel with large corporation stability

Cons

Difficult to increase your salary once you are hired on. Plenty of career advancement opportunity, not much salary advancement.

There are newer employer reviews for Garmin