Great Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Olathe, KS
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My team was fantastic, and we spent time together outside of work right away. The casual atmosphere didn't prevent things from getting done, and I felt like my team members were very competent while not being over-the-top serious. Pay was satisfactory, provided housing was mediocre.

Cons

Kansas isn't my first choice of location. Other than that, though, it was a really good experience and I'm considering returning there for a full-time position.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Racist, dictatorial Aviation division

Current Employee - Embedded Test Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Embedded Test Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Decent benefits, good 401k match 2. In aviation division, work was good. Some of the software developers were really smart.

Cons

1. Worst culture for non-whites. 2. No flex hours at all. Strictly 8:30 to 5:30 pm work schedule. 3. The aviation division treated a fresher like me with out any respect and used draconian laws to teach me a lesson rather than giving me an opportunity to explain my so called "mistakes" 4. HR is equally useless and believes in taking punitive/retaliatory measures against erring employees regardless of their circumstances.

Advice to Management

1. Stop running this company like a 19th century manufacturing unit. 2. Your employees are your strength and if you dont treat them right, you will get screwed. The company is already losing talent 3. This is not Texas and racial bias towards south asian culture is useless in 21st century. Please address these concerns.

2. Great place for an internship!

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Garmin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great software engineering internship program. -Nice company with very engaged employees. -Lots of interesting projects.

Cons

-Employee retention seems low. -Company culture in remote offices seems less important. -As an embedded systems provider, the technologies used can be quite ancient.

Advice to Management

Make the workplace more fun at remote locations, and try to use newer technologies in development.