There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

You could do much, much worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits are excellent and have options where you may pay little to nothing for them. 401k match is outstanding--you can take complete control of your plan, choose a self-adjusting plan, or anywhere inbetween. Upper management genuinely cares about company,how its customers perceive it, and if its associates (NOT "employees," associates) are satisfied in their work.

Cons

Middle management is a mixed bag when it comes to the above. There are middle managers that genuinely think of Garmin as one and try to operate with other departments that way, and there are middle managers more concerned about protecting their fiefdoms than functioning as one company. Sometimes major changes happen that the entire company must accept and adapt to, without having prior input, because only one department required the change. It makes inter-department communication often very difficult.
It's easy to get the perception at Garmin that there are two sets of rules, one for engineers and one for everyone else. This especially applies if one works in manufacturing.
We grew so fast from 1995 to 2005 that there are two separate and distinct cultures depending on when one was hired, one that knew the small scrappy company and one that knows only the "big" company, and they often collide--especially in high-turnover departments like Product Support.

An independent thinker can see a lot of opportunity in my "cons" above and could make one hell of a career with Garmin. I would suggest selling the company that way to prospective associates. To an extent we're doing that already with the updating of our mission statement, but I believe it should be a top-down process, including every interview of a prospective associate. Current associates--and their managers--need to be encouraged to think and act independently, not as "cowboys" or "lone rangers" but as teammates with a common goal worth meeting because it directly benefits them. As we've grown we've picked up too many who've lost sight of that. It needs to come back.

256 Other Employee Reviews for Garmin (View Most Recent)

Laid back environment, no reward for going the extra mile

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shorts and t-shirts are common in the summer, environment is very casual. The people are generally great to work with. My immediate manager (and many of the other team leads) were fantastic. Health insurance benefit is great for a family, but I was single when I worked there.

Cons

Salaries are far sub-par and there is little in the way of bonuses. Sometimes engineers spend months on end working long hours and never see a bonus while the company rakes in huge profits and gives huge dividends to investors. The promotion system (Engineer I, Engineer II) is a joke, there is no clear definition of how to advance.

A bonus or at least some tangible recognition (extra days off?) for employees that go the extra mile would go a long way. When I left the company there was a general feel that the upper management did not appreciate the work of those at the lowest level.

Fast paced, multi tasking environment

Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to projects from inception, room to explore a lot. Project analyst role very broad, you can do as much or as little as you want! Lots of initiatives for employees health, fitness.

Cons

Management not very versatile. Promotions difficult, you need to be part of "the" lunch group. Newly promoted team leads very petty and inexperienced with employee times.

Give everyone a fair chance. Change with changing times, allow more WFH, be more understanding and don't be petty with employee timings.

There are newer employer reviews for Garmin