There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

Fast paced, multi tasking environment

Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS
Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to projects from inception, room to explore a lot. Project analyst role very broad, you can do as much or as little as you want! Lots of initiatives for employees health, fitness.

Cons

Management not very versatile. Promotions difficult, you need to be part of "the" lunch group. Newly promoted team leads very petty and inexperienced with employee times.

Give everyone a fair chance. Change with changing times, allow more WFH, be more understanding and don't be petty with employee timings.

reviews filtered by

You could do much, much worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits are excellent and have options where you may pay little to nothing for them. 401k match is outstanding--you can take complete control of your plan, choose a self-adjusting plan, or anywhere inbetween. Upper management genuinely cares about company,how its customers perceive it, and if its associates (NOT "employees," associates) are satisfied in their work.

Cons

Middle management is a mixed bag when it comes to the above. There are middle managers that genuinely think of Garmin as one and try to operate with other departments that way, and there are middle managers more concerned about protecting their fiefdoms than functioning as one company. Sometimes major changes happen that the entire company must accept and adapt to, without having prior input, because only one department required the change. It makes inter-department communication often very difficult.
    It's easy to get the perception at Garmin that there are two sets of rules, one for engineers and one for everyone else. This especially applies if one works in manufacturing.
    We grew so fast from 1995 to 2005 that there are two separate and distinct cultures depending on when one was hired, one that knew the small scrappy company and one that knows only the "big" company, and they often collide--especially in high-turnover departments like Product Support.

An independent thinker can see a lot of opportunity in my "cons" above and could make one hell of a career with Garmin. I would suggest selling the company that way to prospective associates. To an extent we're doing that already with the updating of our mission statement, but I believe it should be a top-down process, including every interview of a prospective associate. Current associates--and their managers--need to be encouraged to think and act independently, not as "cowboys" or "lone rangers" but as teammates with a common goal worth meeting because it directly benefits them. As we've grown we've picked up too many who've lost sight of that. It needs to come back.

Servant oriented, innovative culture - Garmin takes care of its own!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've always felt that if you work hard and contribute, you'll be rewarded. We have an incredible total rewards package including several options for health, plus dental, vision, 401k and Pension Plans. Garmin also offers awesome opportunities for the associates and thier families such as our Winter Event, Children's Holiday Party, Summer Event, and Easter Egg Hunt, which I think is unique for a company of Garmin's size. I believe in our leadership's vision, our culture and our mission and feel that the values that Garmin espouses are values that our associates truly try to live by in the performance of thier jobs.

Cons

Lack of options for flexible schedules or working from home. I worry that this lack of flexiblity in some cases could be construed by some as a lack of work/life balance. Although I understand the philosophy behind this decision - face to face collaboration results in a more successful product/collaboration - I think that some additional flexiblity is warranted.

Over my tenure at Garmin, I've seen some of the entrepreneurial spirit that Garmin started with fade. Although I believe that Garmin is still dedicated to innovation, I'd like to see it be more prevalent among our engineers, giving them the opportunity to explore innovative ideas at a higher level such as an "innovation day" or "hack day" as some other companies may call it.

There are newer employer reviews for Garmin