There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

Satisfying work with flexible hours and excellent management

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am given responsibility to complete projects in the way I see fit. Hours are flexible, within reasonable limits around core business hours. Can work from home in case of mild sickness or inclement weather instead of using vacation time. Managers are engineers promoted from within, so they understand the projects we work on and are very reasonable with deadlines and expectations. Development tools and hardware are kept up to date. Benefits are excellent for families.

Cons

Benefits are not as good for single employees. Compensation lags behind other software positions.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining good employees with higher compensation. Constantly training new engineers is not cheaper than keeping that hard-won experience with our technologies.

Other Employee Reviews for Garmin

Laid back environment, no reward for going the extra mile

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shorts and t-shirts are common in the summer, environment is very casual. The people are generally great to work with. My immediate manager (and many of the other team leads) were fantastic. Health insurance benefit is great for a family, but I was single when I worked there.

Cons

Salaries are far sub-par and there is little in the way of bonuses. Sometimes engineers spend months on end working long hours and never see a bonus while the company rakes in huge profits and gives huge dividends to investors. The promotion system (Engineer I, Engineer II) is a joke, there is no clear definition of how to advance.

Advice to Management

A bonus or at least some tangible recognition (extra days off?) for employees that go the extra mile would go a long way. When I left the company there was a general feel that the upper management did not appreciate the work of those at the lowest level.

2. Fast paced, multi tasking environment

Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Developer Or Project Analyst in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to projects from inception, room to explore a lot. Project analyst role very broad, you can do as much or as little as you want! Lots of initiatives for employees health, fitness.

Cons

Management not very versatile. Promotions difficult, you need to be part of "the" lunch group. Newly promoted team leads very petty and inexperienced with employee times.

Advice to Management

Give everyone a fair chance. Change with changing times, allow more WFH, be more understanding and don't be petty with employee timings.