There are newer employer reviews for Garmin

You can make your own opportunities, if you keep an open mind

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Olathe, KS
Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

401k plan is one of the best around--my financial advisor has told me as much, compared to other area companies it just plain rocks.
Employee Stock Purchase Plan is also excellent. It makes me wish I made enough money to invest the full 10% possible.
Health insurance is excellent--thanks to the current political situation it is (mostly) not free, but it IS much more affordable compared to the same plans bought on the federal exchange. Especially if you have a family, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. That good. If you are in excellent health, there's even one plan they'll pay you to take!
Current department I work in has an excellent director who genuinely cares if her associates are happy in their work. She's also fantastic when it comes to how well we work with other departments and vice versa. We're fortunate to have her.
Overall culture of company is informal--in most cases, regardless of title or position, anyone here will greet you by first name and talk to you face-to-face. No "corporate snobbery" here.
If you're a self-starter who knows what your skill set is and what it makes you capable of doing, you can do very well here.

Cons

Take-home pay isn't as much compared to other area companies. The company reminds you with a benefits letter each year that it's a trade-off, but profitable as the operation is, it's still a head-scratcher.
The only serious reward for excellent performance is a management position. Not everyone wants to be a manager. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager. I suspect many of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor for Garmin have their roots in a manager who shouldn't have been one.
If you prefer a plainly-defined, start-here-to-get-here-via-this-and-this-and-this career path, Garmin is just not for you. There's an effort being made to make those happen, but they've really never been part of our culture. To advance, you have to be a self-starter, you have to ask questions, you have to make contacts, and you have to keep your eyes open.

We could stand more openness about Garmin's future market plans. While understandably we don't want to "tip our hat" to the competition, we need something to rally around that's tangible. We need to hear "This is what we want to be, this is how we're going to get there, this is how we are going to win."

reviews filtered by
  1. Solid if not exciting job

I have been working at Garmin

Pros

Stable company and great benefits

Cons

lack of career path. Management doesn't seem to want to help anyone move forward.

Show employees they are valued, and not just a commodity.

2. Still a good place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and easy to work with. Benefits are great and very generous compared to other companies in the region. Work is challenging.

Cons

Compensation is not as great as other companies in the region. While work is challenging, deadlines are can be unreasonable leading to frustration.

There are newer employer reviews for Garmin