Gartner

www.gartner.com
  www.gartner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

Always treated with respect, good company.

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

Great employee development. Great benefits.

Cons

Communication/training can be slow to large divisions.

Make merit increases higher than cost of living.

521 Other Employee Reviews for Gartner (View Most Recent)

I learned more and met more interesting people than at any other time in my life.

Current Employee - Research Director
    Current Employee - Research Director

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

The people you work with are at the top of there field and are usually very multidimensional. You learn more about the IT business of course, but you have so much more opportunity to learn in many other areas!

Cons

Some analysts are very protective of their turf, so you have to be careful when writing about things that could be interpreted as someone else's territory. Management is basically where they put analysts who have lost their edge or motivation, and it is extremely plolitical!

Try to eliminate the incestuous political environment that makes it hard to grow and collaborate, and be honest with employees!

Unfortunately it was a bad experience

Current Employee - Accounts Executive in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Accounts Executive in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner

Pros

It is a big company with some very intelligent & friendly people. The company is very good at what it does and is the market leader in IT and business market intelligence and consulting. The name looks very good on your CV and is respected by future employers and will increase your earning potential going forward. Gartner also offers a good training scheme for new starters.

Cons

Unfortunately within the End User SMB sales teams the expectations that are set at interview are very different to what the reality is. Earning potential is much lower, progression is much slower and that is why they have an extremely high staff turnover with someone leaving almost every two weeks. I would also say that the manager I was placed under was not helpful in helping me get up to speed with the role which is a very complicated consultative demand creation role. I would not advise anyone to go in to this environment in a new business development role. The most successful new business development people there have been there a long time and have taken 2-3 of years of account management work to truly understand the complex IT situations and how IT leaders perceive value.

The senior management should be looking at the rate of new accounts being won by gartner and base their hiring activity around that. I saw people being hired into roles where there were no accounts and people being unprofitable for 6 months or more and then getting frustrated and then leaving. This, after having intensive training courses which must cost Gartner $20-30k per employee.

The hiring process needs to be altered radically. Firstly candidates should be given competency based interviews and not interviewed based around what they desire from a material point of view. Ultimately anyone can say that they want to earn $200,000 dollars to buy a nice house, it does not make them a good sales person.

Secondly, don't hire new starters into business development roles. Train them in account management and then when they have learnt the complex value proposition and had a lot of experience of dealing with IT leaders make them BDMs. The BDM role should be something to aspire to for existing employees and carry a bigger salary etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner