Gartner

www.gartner.com
  www.gartner.com
There are newer employer reviews for Gartner

A culture of ambition, achievement and learning

Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Egham, England (UK)
Current Employee - Account Manager SMB in Egham, England (UK)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is founded on principles of truth, independence, research and intelligence.
The service we deliver to our clients is genuinely fascinating - I have high-level commercial, technical and personal conversations with very high level decision makers. We regularly discuss a broad range of topics. Every day is a genuine education.
The earning potential is relatively high and I have a high degree of control over my own territory.
Gartner's strong brand recognition helps get the meeting and close the deal with the decision maker - and this is becoming more and more the case as the company grows.
The company's growth also means there is abundant opportunity for sales, promotions, new positions being created etc. People are regularly promoted.

Cons

The culture is overly Americanised, with regular "motivating" meetings full of verbal high fives. This comes across as fake and out of touch - particularly to non-American employees.
The high level of autonomy comes with a catch - every sales person is a de facto franchise, forced to make internal business cases to senior management to make things happen. This limits my ability to do things for my clients and prospects. Often this is too inflexible, so senior management forbid actions which might make a sale or improve the customer experience.
Very political culture - management promote their friends and set out to make life difficult for those they don't like. No-one is ever recruited externally into sales management positions.
A high degree of change leads to instability. The very high turnover of sales execs, short tenure of those in management positions and regular promotions cause disruption.
The fact the company is growing means there is a degree of immaturity from the growing pains - over-complicated processes, too much focus on metrics, disparate systems, too many people involved in what should be a simple decision (endless email forwarding / cc'ing)

Treat your workers as colleagues on the same team, not school kids.
Treat your clients as valued partners who you want to help.
Be honest with your workers - tell the truth even when it's difficult to hear.
Go easy on the metrics - judging people by 8 or 9 criteria just confuses them.

520 Other Employee Reviews for Gartner (View Most Recent)

sales

Current Employee - Field Sales in Milan (Italy)
    Current Employee - Field Sales in Milan (Italy)

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

smart people, great brand, very good perception from the market, possibility to learn a lot about it and business. Interesting compensation once the target is achieved.

Cons

It can be frustrating sometimes the lack of long term approach. Very conflicting business units that makes internal politcs more time consuming than the actual work.

focus more on client needs and realign organization to function in a customer centric and not BU centric.

Positive overall but geographic limitations and trade-offs.

I have been working at Gartner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are great and make it happen.

Cons

US-centricity - allows for optimisation of business process but ability to influence dependent on individual manager perspective.

Consistent support of remote employees through management skills set. Harness the power of ALL employeees.

There are newer employer reviews for Gartner